Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer sharing from MBA (M1) / MacOS 11.6 Failing

I have an M1 Macbook Air running the latest OS and have it sharing a USB-connected Brother HL-2140. My wife, running an older MBA, can see the shared printer, add it, and print. Exactly one time. Then the printer shows as "busy" or otherwise unavailable. I have to reset printer sharing on my new MBA, then she has to delete and recreate the shared printer on her Mac.

This is, suffice it to say, highly annoying. This seems to be an issue with my Mac, but I wonder if it could be a network issue? Anyone?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 4:07 AM

Hi,

It would probably be correct to assume that both Macs are wirelessly connected to a Wi-Fi router (make/model?).

On the new MacBook Air (sharing the USB printer), are you using the 1.5.0 printer driver for macOS Catalina 10.15 (since there is no driver specifically for Big Sur)?

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2140_all&os=10060

Any information about the operating system version and printer driver on the older MacBook Air?

Generally speaking, sharing a USB printer connected to a computer is not always ideal. samtenor mentioned a router with a USB (printer) port, which may be one alternative. You could also use an external USB print server (for example, TP-Link TL-PS110U) connected by Ethernet to one of the LAN ports of an existing router. This should allow both Macs to print wirelessly. If the printer cannot be placed near the router, there are fully wireless print server solutions as well.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 4:07 AM in response to Beartoe

Hi,

It would probably be correct to assume that both Macs are wirelessly connected to a Wi-Fi router (make/model?).

On the new MacBook Air (sharing the USB printer), are you using the 1.5.0 printer driver for macOS Catalina 10.15 (since there is no driver specifically for Big Sur)?

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2140_all&os=10060

Any information about the operating system version and printer driver on the older MacBook Air?

Generally speaking, sharing a USB printer connected to a computer is not always ideal. samtenor mentioned a router with a USB (printer) port, which may be one alternative. You could also use an external USB print server (for example, TP-Link TL-PS110U) connected by Ethernet to one of the LAN ports of an existing router. This should allow both Macs to print wirelessly. If the printer cannot be placed near the router, there are fully wireless print server solutions as well.

Sep 20, 2021 1:51 PM in response to Beartoe

More likely, it's Brother's wireless/sharing stability. I have few Brother HL and MFC laser printer at home and work.

I found when in wireless situation, it is very annoying. When it was connected to router (via ether net or USB) - the Brother HL will show "on line." see the picture attached.. ps: both Brother printers are always on, HP color laser printer only got turned on when I need it.

But when it is connected via wireless, I have to restart the printer, in order to see it "on line" in order to access.

No matter what system I used (Windows 10, Ubuntu 20.04 and Mac OS), same result.

Because my MFC's main function is FAX at hall way and I have no way to pull an ethernet cable to it. So, I live with the issue.

My suggestion - if you modem/router has USB port and can be accessed as printer server -- you can just connect the printer directly to modem/router. You should remove the printer, then re-add it to your system.

Sep 21, 2021 5:03 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

>Any information about the operating system version and printer driver on the older MacBook Air?

Correction:

Any information about the operating system version on the older MacBook Air? With the USB printer shared by that Mac (with an appropriate driver) instead, you could also check whether there is a difference when printing in the other direction.

Printer sharing from MBA (M1) / MacOS 11.6 Failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.