Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notifications banners on Do Not Disturb in iOS 15

How can I see notifications banners and sounds while I using Do Not Disturb on iOS 15. In iOS 14 and lower the notifications silence is only while the phone is locked. Dose it possible to set it on iOS 15 too?

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 7:56 PM

This is a major issue - the capability to receive notifications while in DND mode and the device unlocked has existed since DND was introduced. Apple removed the options with iOS 15/introduction of the new focus mode. It is disheartening and short sighted that Apple removed an existing feature. The option needs to be added back!!

Similar questions

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2021 7:56 PM in response to siml213

This is a major issue - the capability to receive notifications while in DND mode and the device unlocked has existed since DND was introduced. Apple removed the options with iOS 15/introduction of the new focus mode. It is disheartening and short sighted that Apple removed an existing feature. The option needs to be added back!!

Sep 21, 2021 8:33 AM in response to jdanielj

Hello jdanielj,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you'd like to be able to set custom options while using Do Not Disturb with iOS 15 so that you can still see notifications, banners, or sounds. We'd be happy to provide some information on this.

Take a look at Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, specifically the sections "Turn on Do Not Disturb with iOS 15 and iPadOS 15" and "Change your Do Not Disturb settings" you can set custom Do Not Disturb settings as well as choose which notifications to allow when Do Not Disturb is enabled.

Have a nice day.

Sep 21, 2021 8:54 AM in response to karina184

Hi Karina184, thanks for your answer.

As I saw, in "Do Not Disturb" mode on iOS 15, I can choose in the settings to get notifications from specific apps and people. The problem is that I will get those notifications while the phone is locked.

Before upgrade to iOS 15 while I used Do Not Disturb I did get the notifications banners and sound while I was using the phone, and while it was locked it didn't turn on the display and didn't make any sound.

This is what I want to have on iOS 15.

While I use the device (when it's unlocked) to see the notifications banners and sounds and while the phone is locked so the notifications will be without sound and without turning the display on (like iOS 14 and lower).

Sep 21, 2021 9:51 AM in response to jdanielj

jdanielj,

In iOS 15, you can use Focus to customize settings for your Home and Lock Screen when Do Not Disturb is enabled. You can choose to silence notifications and show them on your Lock Screen. Take a look at "Customize settings for Home Screen" and "Customize settings for Lock Screen" in Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Keep in mind that contacts or apps you choose to allow notifications from when a Focus setting is set, will deliver as if the setting was not enabled. You can remove the contacts or apps if you do not want them to be allowed while these settings are enabled.

Take care.

Nov 25, 2021 10:53 AM in response to Arman6876

Settings>Focus>DND>Allowed Apps>Enable time sensitive

Don't blame Apple, Apple has worked hard to come up with iOS 15. So we would appreciate it if you would shut up and stop insulting it.

There's always a fix to a problem.

If you don't like apple so much go to goddamn Android or stuff like that.

This is a "you" problem if you don't know how to enable it, not an Apple problem.

Dec 4, 2021 8:16 PM in response to topgunaditya

Hmm, this doesn’t quite solve the issue. When you enable “time sensitive”, all notifications marked that way would pass through DND. The issue described is that iOS 14 and lower had this terrific DND setting that when locked, notifications wouldn’t light up your screen nor give sound/vibrate. But when the phone is unlocked, they would appear as normal.

This has been the case since DND was first introduced, and suddenly, with the “upgrade” to iOS 15 this option is gone. Either you get no notifications, or only from specified apps (or time-sensitive), and when you allow these specified apps, they will still light up your Lock Screen as if DND wasn’t even enabled.

long story short: we upgraded to iOS 15 under the understanding that it would be an upgrade, but for a ton of people this feels more like a downgrade than an upgrade in this department

Dec 6, 2021 5:25 PM in response to jdanielj

I've been experiencing the same problem since updating, and it's driving me insane!!

I used to be able to view banners and have my phone vibrate even while I was in Do Not Disturb mode and using my phone. I don't understand why this is no longer the case. Obviously if you use your phone, you're probably going to want to receive notification banners... 

I used to always have my iPhone on DND because I just do not my phone screen to light up/phone vibrate every two seconds when I receive a notice and I’m occupied with something else. And that issue used to be fixed by turning on Do Not Disturb mode. But now if you want that, you'll have to constantly turn DND on while you're not using your phone and DND off when you are. So, if you're at work and switch on DND, and then check your phone during a break, you'll have to turn off DND to get banner alerts while using other applications so you don’t miss peoples messages.

Dec 13, 2021 5:23 AM in response to jdanielj

I’ve just updated my phone, all is good except for the do not disturb update, I find it very confusing. Is there any way we can have the do not disturb back that from the iOS 14. I’ve been reading a lot of complaints about the exact same thing. I think it should be fixed please. The old do not disturb I did get notifications banners and sound while using my phone, and while it was locked it didn’t turn on my display or sound.

Dec 13, 2021 5:29 AM in response to jdanielj

I’ve just updated my phone, all is good except for the do not disturb update, I find it very confusing. Is there any way we can have the do not disturb back that from the iOS 14. I’ve been reading a lot of complaints about the exact same thing. I think it should be fixed please. The old do not disturb I did get notifications banners and sound while using my phone, and while it was locked it didn’t turn on my display or sound. I have had my phone on do not disturb for the last 3 years it’s become a bit of a comfort thing, now this new update has come along it’s really not sitting well. If you guys could add the old do not disturb into the iOS 15 that would be great.

Dec 13, 2021 6:33 AM in response to karina184

I’ve just updated my phone, all is good except for the do not disturb update, I find it very confusing. Is there any way we can have the do not disturb back that from the iOS 14. I’ve been reading a lot of complaints about the exact same thing. I think it should be fixed please. The old do not disturb I did get notifications banners and sound while using my phone, and while it was locked it didn’t turn on my display or sound. I have had my phone on do not disturb for the last 3 years it’s become a bit of a comfort thing, now this new update has come along it’s really not sitting well. If you guys could add the old do not disturb into the iOS 15 that would be great.

Dec 13, 2021 6:36 AM in response to Ch23____

I’ve just updated my phone, all is good except for the do not disturb update, I find it very confusing. Is there any way we can have the do not disturb back that from the iOS 14. I’ve been reading a lot of complaints about the exact same thing. I think it should be fixed please. The old do not disturb I did get notifications banners and sound while using my phone, and while it was locked it didn’t turn on my display or sound. I have had my phone on do not disturb for the last 3 years it’s become a bit of a comfort thing, now this new update has come along it’s really not sitting well. If you guys could add the old do not disturb into the iOS 15 that would be great. I have been with Apple iPhones for many years and have enjoyed all updates but this one and the do not disturb is ruining it a bit for me. If all are asking for the old do not disturb to return then please make this happen for everyone to enjoy their new update.

Notifications banners on Do Not Disturb in iOS 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.