Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2018 - Battery Status not showing in Menu Bar (Big Sur)

As you see n the screenshots, I do not have the battery icon in "other modules" within the system preferences. I can reach the battery menu via the search function though. I have checked the boxes "Show in menu bar" and "Show Percentage". But as you see there is no battery icon in the menu bar. I tried it with removing the power plug and just running the MacBook Pro on battery. For gods sake I also did reinstall Big Sur freshly! Nothing helped so far.

Any advice?

UPDATE: I have installed a 3rd party app for battery status. It says "No battery installed" which obviously can't be true since I am typing on battery right now...

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 4:34 AM

That is what has been suggested as the source of the issue earlier.

Batteries are considered Consumable Products. Over time it will degrade to a point where it needs to be replaced. The usage is normal as the capacity will go up and down all the time and never stay always at 100%. Apple Batteries are rated for 1000 Full Battery Cycles and / or 80% Capacity before needing Evaluation or replacement.

For additional reading on Battery and Apple Computers this link may help. About battery health management in Mac notebooks and especially for the M1 and Big Sur If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac

Depending on the Age of the computer, some aspects from the above links, may or may not apply to your computer.

A feature introduced into Big Sur was to preserve the number of Full Battery Cycles - there was an Algorithm coded into the macOS. It is perfectly Normal for Big Sur to Pause / Suspend charging the battery beyond 80% and hold it at that level. One can nudge / over-ride this by clicking the Battery Icon on Desktop Top Bar and allow charging beyond 80%. From observations, it will Pause / Suspend again once reading 90%. Same procedure to over-ride and will charge to 100%

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 4:34 AM in response to umuzo

That is what has been suggested as the source of the issue earlier.

Batteries are considered Consumable Products. Over time it will degrade to a point where it needs to be replaced. The usage is normal as the capacity will go up and down all the time and never stay always at 100%. Apple Batteries are rated for 1000 Full Battery Cycles and / or 80% Capacity before needing Evaluation or replacement.

For additional reading on Battery and Apple Computers this link may help. About battery health management in Mac notebooks and especially for the M1 and Big Sur If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac

Depending on the Age of the computer, some aspects from the above links, may or may not apply to your computer.

A feature introduced into Big Sur was to preserve the number of Full Battery Cycles - there was an Algorithm coded into the macOS. It is perfectly Normal for Big Sur to Pause / Suspend charging the battery beyond 80% and hold it at that level. One can nudge / over-ride this by clicking the Battery Icon on Desktop Top Bar and allow charging beyond 80%. From observations, it will Pause / Suspend again once reading 90%. Same procedure to over-ride and will charge to 100%

Sep 20, 2021 2:48 PM in response to umuzo

Reboot normally, download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Sep 20, 2021 2:26 PM in response to umuzo

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Sep 20, 2021 2:44 PM in response to umuzo

Sorry for that I just thought you will compare the lines with your personal stats. Basically it says following:

• Fully charged: No
  • Batter is being charged: No
  • Full charged capacity in mAh: 0

( ... followed by some Settings for power plug operation ... )

• Power plug connected: No
  • Battery is being charged: No

I hope that helps

MacBook Pro 2018 - Battery Status not showing in Menu Bar (Big Sur)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.