Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPadOS 15 Abhorrent Home Screen app spacing

I just updated my iPad to iPadOS 15 and was shocked when I saw the new ridiculous spacing of the Home Screen apps. I’m someone who likes to keep all my apps on a single page, so this affected my usage quite a bit.  My 10.5 inch iPad now has the same number of apps on the Home Screen as my iPhone 11 Pro (4 x 6 for a total of 24).  Is there any way to fix this and revert it to the old number of apps?

if not, when will this be fixed or how can I go back to iPadOS 14?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 2:08 AM

There are many changes within iPadOS15 - of which is change to the Today view on the first Home Screen and placement of Widgets.

You are now able to freely position widgets on any of the Home Screens, but have lost the “compact” first Home Screen layout (that shows a compressed 4x6 grid of App/Folder icons and Today view). Now, without the compressed view, Widgets individually occupy elements of the 4x6 icon grid - and will displace some App/Folder icons as necessary.

The net effect of adding Widgets to the Home Screen(s) results in reduced efficiency in using available screen space on Home Screens.

Apple do invite constructive feedback, comments and feature requests via their product feedback pages. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

You are encouraged to make use of this facility in expressing any views concerning issues, bugs, or functionality changes of which you are unhappy.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 2:08 AM in response to 2-shar

There are many changes within iPadOS15 - of which is change to the Today view on the first Home Screen and placement of Widgets.

You are now able to freely position widgets on any of the Home Screens, but have lost the “compact” first Home Screen layout (that shows a compressed 4x6 grid of App/Folder icons and Today view). Now, without the compressed view, Widgets individually occupy elements of the 4x6 icon grid - and will displace some App/Folder icons as necessary.

The net effect of adding Widgets to the Home Screen(s) results in reduced efficiency in using available screen space on Home Screens.

Apple do invite constructive feedback, comments and feature requests via their product feedback pages. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

You are encouraged to make use of this facility in expressing any views concerning issues, bugs, or functionality changes of which you are unhappy.

iPadOS 15 Abhorrent Home Screen app spacing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.