Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad pro 2020 display in connecting with monitor for extended screen

Hi the greatest Apple community,

I am happy to have amazing iPad pro 2020 and use in my life. I searched about 2 months ago about connecting the ipad pro with the external monitor and only I saw the mirror screen but I need to have extended screen. On that time most YouTube news were announced that in IOS 15 the extended screen will add to iPad’s generation but last night I eagerly updated my iPad OS and still same issue.

this is really a need to have extended screen in iPad so users could have better use of this amazing device. Please advise us if there is any solution.

regards

Hasib Hazinyar

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 12:17 AM

You are correct, at present, an iPad screen can only be mirrored to an external display. The external display cannot be used as an extended screen. There are some third party apps such as ➔ ShiftScreen that can allow you to use an external display as an extended monitor with your iPad. Those apps are still not very efficient but get the job done.

There have been no announcement from Apple about adding this feature to the iPad. I believe the YouTubers were taking about Universal Control whereby you can use the same mouse and keyboard for multiple Apple devices that are located nearby and are signed on to the same Apple ID. This feature is not active at present and should arrive with a later update on the iPad and the Mac.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 12:17 AM in response to hasib97

You are correct, at present, an iPad screen can only be mirrored to an external display. The external display cannot be used as an extended screen. There are some third party apps such as ➔ ShiftScreen that can allow you to use an external display as an extended monitor with your iPad. Those apps are still not very efficient but get the job done.

There have been no announcement from Apple about adding this feature to the iPad. I believe the YouTubers were taking about Universal Control whereby you can use the same mouse and keyboard for multiple Apple devices that are located nearby and are signed on to the same Apple ID. This feature is not active at present and should arrive with a later update on the iPad and the Mac.

Axel F.

Sep 21, 2021 2:26 AM in response to hasib97

Unlike PC and Mac computers, with which you are doubtless familiar, iPad doesn’t have the equivalent of an extended desktop - supporting content display across multiple displays.

iPad has Screen Mirroring - that reproduces what you can see on the iPad display - on an external TV or monitor. Screen Mirroring does exactly as its name implies; the iPad screen is reproduced on the external display, preserving both the content and aspect ratio of the iPad screen.

AirPlay extends capabilities of iPad - permitting display of playing media content (either download or streamed) to an external TV or monitor, at full resolution and aspect ratio of the source material, independently of the iPad screen. This capability, however, does not extend to other Apps such as video conferencing.

Also consider that in a touch-UI environment, an extended desktop would make no sense; you would not be able to interact with Apps that were only visible on the external monitor.

iPad however can be used to extend the desktop of a PC or Mac computer - using applications such as Duet and Sidecar.

I hope this information and insight is helpful in addressing your question.

Ipad pro 2020 display in connecting with monitor for extended screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.