Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

End of life support

Hi all. When is the end date for future firmware support for the Airport Extreme? Is it time to get a new router?

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 5:42 AM

The most recent firmware update for the AirPort routers was in May 2019. While Apple is always silent about their future plans, I would be very surprised if we ever see another firmware update for the AirPort routers.

If your router is 6-7 years old or older, it is probably time to consider replacing the product, especially if you are interested in up to date security.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 5:42 AM in response to banderson9

The most recent firmware update for the AirPort routers was in May 2019. While Apple is always silent about their future plans, I would be very surprised if we ever see another firmware update for the AirPort routers.

If your router is 6-7 years old or older, it is probably time to consider replacing the product, especially if you are interested in up to date security.

Sep 21, 2021 8:04 AM in response to banderson9

As per the link hercules-king provided you, Apple has three basic support "categories:" Supported, Vintage, & Obsolete, that are based on the last production dates of their respective products.

Supported = 0-5 years

Vintage = 5-7 years

Obsolete = 7+ years

Only the very latest AirPort models (2nd gen 802.11n AirPort Express, 802.11ac AirPort Extreme, & 802.11ac Time Capsule) that were discontinued in April 2018 are still in the Supported category ... at least, until April 2023. However, as Bob Timmons has mentioned, I also do not see Apple providing any firmware updates any time soon, or ever, for these models.

Any older models of these base stations are now in either the Vintage or Obsolete category.

End of life support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.