Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15 Apple Maps navigation voice volume missing

My map voice guidance voice volume control is missing since installing iOS15. Because of the lack of volume control, I have to have my music screaming loud to hear navigation guidance prompts since the voice is set much lower than my music volume. I have tried using the slider during navigation prompts but it changes both the navigation voice volume AND my music volume.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 6:01 AM

17 replies

Apr 18, 2022 1:21 PM in response to adubz33

The trick is to set your volume while the navigation instructions are being spoken. I see a few people said that they tried that and it didn't work. Perhaps they weren't fast enough. You really have to set the volume while the instructions are actually being spoken. Works for me every time. And I've also been through a few rental cars and it has worked with all of them.

Sep 22, 2021 7:35 AM in response to adubz33

Hi adubz33,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're no longer seeing the option to adjust the navigation voice volume for Apple Maps. We're happy to provide some information to assist.

This option has been removed with iOS 15. However, we'd recommend using Sound Check to help balance the volume when using Maps. You can find it by navigating to Settings > Music, then turn on Sound Check. If needed, the guide here can also assist: Change the way music sounds on iPhone

You can also view updated information in the guide here: Things you can do while following a route in Maps on iPhone

Specifically the section "Change other settings for spoken directions" at the bottom of the page. If you have a compatible car audio system, turning on Directions on Radio may help as well.

If you'd like to leave feature feedback, check out the feedback website here: Product Feedback - iPhone

Cheers!

Jan 23, 2022 3:19 PM in response to adubz33

BEFORE YOU TRY THIS!!! …

I had this problem, too, so I made the change. Here's what happened:

First, what was suggested actually worked. When I'm playing an audiobook and Maps needs to provide directions, the volume is now reasonable.

HOWEVER, now Maps navigation doesn't limit itself to Bluetooth!

There are two sound paths when using iPhone in a car: one is Bluetooth, and then other is what you hear when you use Siri. When I didn't want to hear navigation, I would simply turn off my radio. Problem solved. To be fair, I rarely listen to music or audiobooks while driving.

NOW, however, when no other audio is playing, Maps audio plays through the sound path that Siri takes … even if the Bluetooth radio is on! Unfortunately, there's a delay while iOS checks for audio, so I constantly lose the first part of the navigation audio. Instead of "In 2 miles, take the exit…" I get "Take the exit…" That's a very different instruction and has caused me several mistakes.

WORSE is that I've reverted the change listed in this thread, and THE NEW SIDE EFFECTS STILL EXIST!!!

To anyone who's considering this, please use caution. Back up your phone before making the switch so that you can restore if you want to (I'm still not sure it will help).

If anyone has suggestions on how to undo this setting other than the obvious "click the button to off", please let me know.

Apr 18, 2022 9:54 AM in response to adubz33

I have the same problem with Apple CarPlay in my 2016 Honda Accord. I can't believe Apple removed that volume control feature -- why remove something that's useful??

But -- I found a workaround. If I were to simply turn up the music volume so make the navigation directions louder, then the radio is too loud -- no good. However, if I have the audio system turned off, the nav directions still come through the car's speakers, and then I can adjust the volume for the nav directions using the car's steering wheel volume control. Not at all obvious, but it works. That new volume setting for the nav directions persists even when the radio is on. So I can balance the nav volume as I wish against the radio volume. I don't know if this will work with other cars.

Jun 29, 2022 8:20 PM in response to adubz33

I did find a solution to this. True, with the latest upgrade to 15.5 iOS the Navigation Voice Volume setting has apparently been deleted in Settings/Maps even though it shows up when doing a search in Settings. Weird. However, when you pull up a map in Apple Maps to navigate, there is a voice (speaker) icon on the right side of the map w/ 3 choices, one of which is a mute. You simply unmute and voila! you have voice. I tried it with my car in CarPlay and it plays there as well. Now, I'm hoping that a voice will always play as a default when I'm navigating in my car. But I don't know; I can't imagine you'd have to unmute every trip. Maybe so; Apple took away a pretty useful Settings feature here; not a good idea imho. Also, no issues with this with Google Maps so maybe that's a better choice.

Aug 24, 2022 1:32 AM in response to adubz33

There is a way change the volume for Maps for the newest version in the car for CarPlay. You need to have it in the mode where it is giving step-by-step directions to a destination (it cannot be done in any other mode of operation). Then tap the car screen where it won't cause a selection and on the right edge will appear various touch controls. Second from the upper right should be a symbol for volume control (speaker symbol). Tap that speaker symbol and it will give you a symbolic list of full volume, low volume, and off. Tap the one you want (probably "off"). That is it.

It is weird, since that this means of volume control is not very intuitive. This took a lot of experimenting.

iOS 15 Apple Maps navigation voice volume missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.