Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since installing Safari 15, clicking on links in Mail, opens totally new safari windows, instead of new tabs in my existing safari window ... how can i change this back?

Since installing Safari 15, clicking on links in Mail, opens totally new safari windows, instead of new tabs in my existing safari window ... how can i change this back?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 12:22 AM

For me it changed back to the normal/expected behaviour, when I changed to a 'regular surfing' tab group, rather than a previously saved tab group.

So I'd suggest checking what your current tab group is.

3 replies

Sep 22, 2021 8:29 AM in response to shaileshfromnew york

Greetings, shaileshfromnew york.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We can understand why you’d rather have new links open in tabs instead of new windows. 

Have you verified your Safari preferences? 

"To change the page that opens in new tabs, choose Safari > Preferences, click General, click the “New tabs open with” pop-up menu, then choose an option."Use tabs for webpages in Safari on Mac 

We hope this helps! Thanks for being a part of the community.

Sincerely.

Sep 23, 2021 4:35 AM in response to HolyDuck

Holy wow, HolyDuck ... that did the trick. If you have an existing window open with a specific tab group, one that is named/setup ... clicking any link in another app will launch an entirely new window, and place it on the left most opened desktop.

But, as you said, if you go to the group tab pull down (upper left corner) and use the first one (not one of your specified tab groups) ... clicking links in other apps will launch them in that existing window, but in that unnamed / non specified tab space. Brilliant!

I guess, it's forcing another window rather than adding a tab to a designated group, or switching from that group that is open back to the initial / general area. Kinda makes sense I guess, but hard to figure out why ... thanks for the insight!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.