Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery issues

Why iPhone 12 battery is so poor quality, iPhone battery health only 88% left after 9 months use? Apple Store Genius Bar is poor service, they are keep saying it is normal, only battery health down to 80% then you may qualify. But every month my battery keep lost health 2%. By getting down to 80%, 1 year warranty already expired. So, It mean no free replacement period. Very bad customer service, bad warranty.

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 12:49 AM

That is not brilliant battery life, I might expect 92% at 9 months, but that is the warranty you agreed to on purchase. You could have purchased AppleCare+ to push the battery warranty to 2 years but you balance that cost against $69 for the new battery which looks like being 18 months - not too bad, two years being a more likely time.

All batteries age with use, just that Apple chose to give you an approximate capacity compared to new, but had the misfortune to name it "Health"

Charge it all night every night and don't let it run flat to maximise battery capacity.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2021 12:49 AM in response to Chan2021

That is not brilliant battery life, I might expect 92% at 9 months, but that is the warranty you agreed to on purchase. You could have purchased AppleCare+ to push the battery warranty to 2 years but you balance that cost against $69 for the new battery which looks like being 18 months - not too bad, two years being a more likely time.

All batteries age with use, just that Apple chose to give you an approximate capacity compared to new, but had the misfortune to name it "Health"

Charge it all night every night and don't let it run flat to maximise battery capacity.

Sep 22, 2021 3:22 AM in response to Chan2021

This issue seems to be arising with more recent phones and since the facility to read off the battery health was made available. My wife's XS has done something similar. However my 2016 SE is now on a 3rd battery which has remained at 100% for a year! Can this be the case? The true test is just to observe how your phone is performing in day to day experience. In my wife's case she seems to be happy with battery life and hasn't commented on any serious issue.

I would keep a close eye on that 80% mark and then head off to the Apple Store. It is actually a small reason I have held on to the 2016 SE as I can change the battery myself with minimal expense in about 15 mins.

Sep 22, 2021 4:06 AM in response to LD150

I replaced the batteries using an iFixit kit the first time and then an oGoDeal Battery Replacement for iPhone SE 2350mAh the 2nd time as I was not so happy with the iFixit battery. It's not been possible to access Apple Stores during the pandemic in the UK and I have been less than confident about using some of the 3rd party 'approved' repairers they recommend who are all located a long way from my home.

I think it's likely that my battery is just not being reported correctly and is, as you suggest, sticking on 100%. Nevertheless it has performed better than either the original or iFixit models which is interesting. Thanks for your clarification.

Sep 22, 2021 4:14 AM in response to Walter Brewster

Those batteries are all fake and you are lucky to get a health reading at all but with unknown chemistry any reading is suspect.

If you didnt need the phone for a few days the mail-in repairs were available.

Problem now is Apple will not touch phones repaired by third party, and regular forum members will not offer help on here.

Sep 22, 2021 4:29 AM in response to LD150

Well it's a 5 year old SE bought on Day 1 we're talking about so I have no complaints. The iFixit battery did give a health reading and perhaps I will return here to note if the present one starts to read less than 100%. The phone received iOS 15 and is still working very well. I spent my available money on an M1 Mac so the phone will have to wait! I appreciate your comments and advice.

Battery issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.