Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Photoshop CS6 if I upgrade to Catalina?

I am running on Mojave. I read in the forum that with light use I can still use Photoshop CS6 if I upgrade to Catalina. Is this true?

Can I buy a new version of just Photoshop alone, or the Adobe Suite? Where can I find less expensive places to buy these?

Fernne

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 11:26 PM

Photoshop CS6 does not work in Catalina or later because it is an old 32-bit app. If your Mac supports Mojave you can create (or leave an existing) small Mojave internal or external volume just for such old 32-bit apps and Option-boot into Mojave to use them. Or for occasional and light use create a VM and install Mojave or earlier to it and use it while booted in Catalina or later. Or cough some $$$ and upgrade to SAAS Adobe products that support Catalina or later. Or use some other less expensive app like Affinity Photo, GraphicConverter etc.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 11:26 PM in response to Fernne

Photoshop CS6 does not work in Catalina or later because it is an old 32-bit app. If your Mac supports Mojave you can create (or leave an existing) small Mojave internal or external volume just for such old 32-bit apps and Option-boot into Mojave to use them. Or for occasional and light use create a VM and install Mojave or earlier to it and use it while booted in Catalina or later. Or cough some $$$ and upgrade to SAAS Adobe products that support Catalina or later. Or use some other less expensive app like Affinity Photo, GraphicConverter etc.

Sep 22, 2021 5:21 AM in response to Fernne

You might be able to get by with Photoshop Elements 2021 which you can purchase from Adobe, otherwise, Adobe only offers a subscription solution for Photoshop, Frustrator, and their other products.

Or, you could consider the $50 (each) Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer products as replacements for CS6. No subscription, and can be purchased via the Mac App Store, or directly from Affinity, Each product has a fully-featured trial for download from the Affinity site and is specifically designed as replacements for Photoshop and Illustrator. Don't let the low price for the Affinity products suggest limited capability.

Can I use Photoshop CS6 if I upgrade to Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.