Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina workaround for Adobe CS6?

Just wondering if anyone has found another work-around to get Adobe CS6 running with Catalina? I'm using the "Terminal Method" which sort of works with a couple of limitations.

Go into Applications and click on Photoshop CS6, right click the Adobe Photoshop CS6.app, then Show Package Contents, click on Contents, then Mac OS, the double click the terminal icon/Adobe Photoshop CS6. A terminal window will open, and you'll get a couple of warning popups, canel those... then Photoshop will open. Its 100% functional with two exceptoions; you can't Save for Web, and you can't open a JPG image. I bought Affinity Photo, so if I need access to a JPG, I open it in Affinity, then Export it as a PSD file. Minor inconvenience, but now I can open the file in Photoshop. And... I can save the file as a JPG as long as I use the "Save As" selection.

I don't know if we should blame Apple or Adobe, but as many long-time Photoshop users in the Adobe forums have said, they feel cheated. The Adobe nuts say CS6 is six years old, but its also had numerous service upgrades, maybe a half dozen? So people have been buying and using this version for 6 years... so what? I can install Corel Draw 10 on a new PC and it works. CS6 is supposedly a 64-bit product, but Adobe seems to just want more money, and while I'm one of the retired guys that used Adobe PS at work since it was introduced... I think that when you buy a product you shouldn't be shut out unless you buy it again. Just my two cents.

My advice to everyone complaining... go buy Affinity Photo, especially when its on sale for $30 bucks and start migrating. Its gonna take some time, but 99% of what you want is there.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 5:57 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 20, 2020 7:10 AM in response to LightningMike

You couldn't pay me to use Affinity Photo. Nor Photoshop Elements.

I tested both PSE 2020 and the latest version of Affinity Photo. Not impressed with either. Granted, I'm spoiled by decades of using the full version of Photoshop, so these rather watered down apps are both distracting and limiting to me.

Plus sides of both:

1. Excellent retouching (clone brush) controls.
  2. Both have what you would expect for curves, and hue/saturation corrections.
  3. Layer palette.
  4. History palette (one of the best ideas Adobe ever came up with, IMHO).
  5. Lots of other features that can be found in Photoshop reproduced very well in either app.

Minuses for PSE 2020. I did this all in Expert mode to try and get the most out of the app:

1. Terrible color management controls. Your only choices (besides the very bad choice of "none") are optimized for screen and optimized for print. If you use the first, it will recognize and use an embedded RGB profile. Untagged images automatically get tagged with sRGB or Adobe RGB. But it decides. You have no control over new or untagged images, and can't covert it to the one you would prefer afterwards. For the second, why does it even have a radio button to optimize for print? What does that even mean in PSE? Print can only mean CMYK, and Elements doesn't support CMYK at all.
  2. You can't arrange the palettes to your liking. The layers palette will not tear off so you can stack it vertically with Actions, History, or other options. You can only put those alongside or over Layers, taking up yet more space you could otherwise use to view the image you're working on.
  3. Basically, even in expert mode, it's too dumbed down. At least for someone like me who is very used to the full version of PS.

Minuses for Affinity Photo:

1. Yup, they added many file types you can save rather than just JPEG or TIFF. Problem is, they're still only available as an export option. I opened a flattened TIFF. Did some corrections, added a couple of layers and exported a .psd file so I wouldn't get their proprietary format. Did a few more changes and pressed Command+S. Sounds normal until you check to see what happened after that last Command+S save. Rather than saving over the .psd file you just last told it to save, it creates a new proprietary image with the latest changes. The .psd remains as it was when you exported it. In other words, in order to prevent getting your images trapped in their useless "only Affinity Photo can open this image" format, you have to remember to do an export every - single - time ! Not impressed with that in the slightest.
  2. Compared to PSE 2020, there wasn't anywhere near as much to gripe about with Affinity Photo. Far better color management (almost identical to Photoshop) and it supports CMYK images! Didn't see a way to convert an image to a different color space, but I may have missed it in the menus.
  3. Layered files in Affinity's native file format are HUGE. A 48 MB TIF I started with turned into a 248 MB Affinity file with only two simple adjustment layers added.

Big minus for both (to me) is the crummy, "Let's force everything into an application frame" interface. This is a Windows thing. I hate it, and always have. Even when I was using Windows years before getting my first Mac, I disliked this design of encasing every app separate from the desktop. Why is there no option for floating palettes and images? I'm using a Mac, not Windows.

Yes, I'm spoiled with Photoshop. I know it too well and can't easily go backwards to less capable apps. I just installed and activated Encore CS6 on an otherwise bare install of Mojave to make sure I can continue using it. I know Adobe shuts down the activation servers on older titles after a certain amount of time (CS3 or CS4 was one that got axed recently). You may have a legal copy, but if you can't activate it, you essentially have demo software that will time out. I'll have to do another saved .dmg of Mojave with all of my CS6 Master Collection apps on it before they shut down those activation servers. Don't know when that will happen, but better safe than sorry.

Overall, I thought Affinity Photo was pretty darn good. Especially for a $60 app. But their insistence of saving all files in their proprietary format is a complete deal breaker for me. You can get around it, but you have to be very vigilant about exporting every file you work on. The user shouldn't have to do this.

Jan 20, 2020 7:05 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Had to split my reply. Ran out of character space.

The last Mac OS CS6 officially supported by Adobe was Lion, 10.7. It shouldn't be any surprise that eight year old software doesn't run well, or at all in the latest OS. It doesn't even all run in Mojave. I installed the CS6 Master Collection in Mojave and After Effects doesn't work at all. Won't even launch.

Like any other software company, Adobe can't pay their bills or continue to exist without income. No software company is going to keep old titles running forever with free updates or upgrades, no matter what you paid for them.

Want to continue using CS6? Get VMware, Parallels, or the free VirtualBox and install an older Mac OS within that, such as Yosemite or El Capitan. Then install CS6 and run it from the VM.

Jan 20, 2020 2:10 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Funny because I installed CS6 on this Mac last March or April just after I bought it. It ran PERFECT on Mojave. I know that wasn't supposed to be the case, but I had zero problems until I made the mistake of auto-update. Go figure. Like you, I've used just about every version of PS since the mid '90's finally retired about 12 years ago, and yes, I'm not doing production work any longer, just donating my services most of the time to church and senior center projects and a few other items. I'm actually winding down a bit... and maybe I'll keep my old Mac instead of selling/donating it as it has CS4 on it and it runs OK for a late 2007 machine.

Jan 20, 2020 2:20 PM in response to LightningMike

Yes, Photoshop CS6 runs just fine in Mojave (after you add it to the Security & Privacy settings under Full Disk Access). I installed most of the CS6 Master Collection and all ran except After Effects. Mojave even tells you it can't be used with this OS.

I was referring to virtual machine software (VMware, etc.) in Catalina since that's the OS in question for this topic. It's the only way I know of to successfully use CS6 in Catalina. But you do need a good amount of RAM to run an OS within the host OS.

Either that, or have Mojave on its own partition to run CS6 from. A bit of a hassle to boot back and forth, but it negates the need for a VM. Or, if you don't actually have a need to run Catalina at all, restore your Mojave backup.

Jan 20, 2020 3:10 PM in response to LightningMike

I am not an Adobe fan. But, I am very happy to be passing on CS6 on my Catalina installation. The Adobe Photography Plan is just dandy for $10 a month. I am using only the CC apps, and I like them. You probably would too. Good luck with whatever you do in the future. But, why make things harder than they need be by saving $10, but, on the other hand, incurring the dollar costs or the physical/mental cost of other solutions.

Catalina workaround for Adobe CS6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.