Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synchronize songs within the music app (Mac) and the files in the music folder

How do I connect the songs within the music app (Mac) with the files in the music folder which I have copied from my former Mac to my new Mac for which I performed a clean install.

Only the files which I have imported after the transfer I can access by command-shift-R and a finder window opens with path ~/music/music/artist/album/

For all the existing files which I have manually copied by rsync from former Mac to new Mac there is no connector when I press command-shift-R although those files have been formerly synchronized with Music.

If your idea is: delete music files within ~/music/music/ thereafter download music files in Music App from Music >>> no thanks. I want to connect existing files with the music library without importing 30,000 files via Music App because this would destroy the statistics (how often played, etc.) and would completely renew my Music account which I don't want at all.

I hope at least one of you can give a solution.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 9:31 AM

Perhaps this article will help;

Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support

or see the 'macOS 10.15 Catalina and later' section in:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

See also How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support for Apple's approach to this topic.

Similar questions

1 reply

Synchronize songs within the music app (Mac) and the files in the music folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.