Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 15 not opening websites - "a problem repeatedly occurred"

The automatic update to Safari 15 (Catalina) came across yesterday and now a huge number of websites no longer open. The problem seems to begin after attempting to login - the redirect confuses the browser. Does anyone know what's going on?

Switching to Opera and Brave until this gets fixed. See screenshot for typical error page below.....

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 9:06 AM

igirl1 wrote:

try re-installing the Safari 15 (92.5 MB Installer pkg):
Very nice of you LD - but just in the interest of security, is there a link to the standalone Safari 15 installer direct from Apple's support site? I haven't been able to find one.

On the linked file posted here - “Show Package Contents” option isn’t available - and drilling down in Terminal could be a project if there are multiple levels of nested packages! Not to say anything nefarious is in there but I'm just a couple extra levels of cautious these days. Please no offense.

This is Apple's own swCDN (software content distribution network) as seen from the link's domain name:

swcdn.apple.com/...

reference link:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/15/01/002-02859-A_TFTOEP7KTW/c962h7kwercno4bxxaql4o2g03y80pefij/Safari15.0CatalinaAuto.pkg

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2021 9:06 AM in response to igirl1

igirl1 wrote:

try re-installing the Safari 15 (92.5 MB Installer pkg):
Very nice of you LD - but just in the interest of security, is there a link to the standalone Safari 15 installer direct from Apple's support site? I haven't been able to find one.

On the linked file posted here - “Show Package Contents” option isn’t available - and drilling down in Terminal could be a project if there are multiple levels of nested packages! Not to say anything nefarious is in there but I'm just a couple extra levels of cautious these days. Please no offense.

This is Apple's own swCDN (software content distribution network) as seen from the link's domain name:

swcdn.apple.com/...

reference link:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/15/01/002-02859-A_TFTOEP7KTW/c962h7kwercno4bxxaql4o2g03y80pefij/Safari15.0CatalinaAuto.pkg

Sep 22, 2021 4:11 PM in response to igirl1

igirl1 Said:

"Safari 15 not opening websites - 'a problem repeatedly occurred' The automatic update to Safari 15 (Catalina) came across yesterday and now a huge number of websites no longer open. The problem seems to begin after attempting to login - the redirect confuses the browser. Does anyone know what's going on Switching to Opera and Brave until this gets fixed. See screenshot for typical error page below....."

-------

What to Do:

Boot into Safe Mode [Hold Down: shift key upon boot] and then perform the following:

A. Remove: Login Items:

See if Safari and/or Chrome are Login Items. If so, remove them as such and then restart the Mac, seeing if it/they no longer load(s) at login.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items preferences on Mac - Apple Support.

B. Uninstall: Security Software:

Any Security Software installed on your computer? If so, uninstall it. Use the Uninstaller for to do so, getting the Uninstaller directly from my Developer’s site, as getting it else where may result in Malware or Spyware being installed. If you are uncertain which to download, then as the Developer. What is it doing is running you through VPN (Virtual Private Network), and your location is seen elsewhere — perhaps a location that this site is inaccessible to.

C. Scan: your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

D. Clean: Space:

Delete: Unneeded, Large Files:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.  Virtual Machines can be in the double and triple digits of GBs of data.

E. Clear: Temporary Internet Files:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Go Here: Clear the History and Cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch - Apple Support

Sep 22, 2021 6:11 PM in response to igirl1

igirl1 Said:

"Safari 15 not opening websites - 'a problem repeatedly occurred': Thanks TheLittles - I'm sure ABCDE might help some, but this is not happening on just my machine - according to many people across the web today, it's happening to many/most people since the security update was pushed.[...]"

-------

Thank you or the followup reply.

Give Apple Feedback:

Being somewhat new of an issue, I wonder if many have even reported it yet?

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know what exactly is occurring.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - Safari - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: on when you came across this issue, and how you have troubleshot it thus far.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Sep 22, 2021 8:04 AM in response to igirl1

igirl1 wrote:

The automatic update to Safari 15 (Catalina) came across yesterday and now a huge number of websites no longer open. The problem seems to begin after attempting to login - the redirect confuses the browser. Does anyone know what's going on?

Switching to Opera and Brave until this gets fixed. See screenshot for typical error page below.....

You can file a bug report for the Safari.app using this same link: Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback 

Sep 22, 2021 10:22 AM in response to igirl1

igirl1 wrote:

Thanks LD - Of course I know how to post a screenshot - I posted one before and for some reason it's now gone!

"Switching to Opera and Brave until this gets fixed. See screenshot for typical error page below....."
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/df604323-5f56-4453-b138-e9226cb9d872

See the little question mark box? Gone!

Trying again...(screenshot below) FWIW there are reports of this all over the internet today. It's not just me. All kinds of bugginess with Safari 15.0 in addition to this problem!

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/fa7248f2-d523-44e0-bb04-a8ea266788b1

thanks for the Screen shot.

Yes I realize it is a re-occurring issue for some...I am trying to drill down on this issue.

You can try and clear cookies for that particular website and try again.

Manage cookies and website data in Safari on Mac - Apple ...

Sep 22, 2021 3:55 PM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

igirl1 wrote:

Thanks LD - Of course I know how to post a screenshot - I posted one before and for some reason it's now gone!

"Switching to Opera and Brave until this gets fixed. See screenshot for typical error page below....."
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/df604323-5f56-4453-b138-e9226cb9d872

Trying again...(screenshot below) FWIW there are reports of this all over the internet today. It's not just me. All kinds of bugginess with Safari 15.0 in addition to this problem!

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/fa7248f2-d523-44e0-bb04-a8ea266788b1

thanks for the Screen shot.

Yes I realize it is a re-occurring issue for some...I am trying to drill down on this issue.

You can try and clear cookies for that particular website and try again.
Manage cookies and website data in Safari on Mac - Apple ...

I have had the same problem ( but only for Financial Institutions websites, including insurance co.s - one outlier -Xfinity and AT&T) Originally like you I thought it was Safari 15.0 which I downloaded on 9/21/21. So I reinstalled Safari 14.1.2 from Time Machine Back-up and the same problem continued.

It's not Safari...it's the Security Update to MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 which I believe is causing the problem.

So I re-installed ( Restored) my previous MacOS operating system /Hard Drive ( not just HD Mackintosh - Data) but everything as at 9/19/21 - i.e previous to the updates. And now everything for me at least works perfectly. No issues

Someone else suggested upgrading to Big Sur but I was not that keen, so effectively I have down graded to 10.15.7 before the Security Update/Safari 15

To Repeat, I don't believe the bug is in Safari.... it's in the Security Update posted at the same time.

But am no expert on this. All I know is that by reinstalling a previous version of MacOS from my Time Machine Back up I solved my problem

Sep 23, 2021 8:52 AM in response to igirl1

igirl1 wrote:

On your macOS Catalina —you can try re-installing the Safari 15 (92.5 MB Installer pkg): Safari 15

and see if it sorts your issue. The CDN's cache is invalidated periodically, so may not be a long standing link.

Nov 20, 2021 4:55 AM in response to zilddz

I tried Safari15.0CatalinaAuto.pkg but it didn't fix my Ebay logon problem (logon page didn't advance when clicking continue). I have just installed the Developer's 15.2 beta 1 from https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=Safari

That has fixed the Ebay logon but I still get "A problem repeatedly occurred" on some sites - for me notably Street View from Google Maps and Route Planner in Strava.

Oct 1, 2021 3:12 PM in response to igirl1

I spoke with Apple support today. I had already reinstalled the Safari 15.0 app again, from an apple link.

they advised me to do a reboot into "Safe Mode". it apparently clears out the caches, and other items as part of the boot up.

Intel processor

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
  2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
  3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

After doing this, I can receive texts from the bank for 2 factor authentication , and login .

still have no audio when streaming SiriusXM, but that is a minor problem. ( we tried resetting the Nvram, but it didn't help)

You might want to try if you are having trouble with safari.

Oct 2, 2021 7:15 AM in response to MarkSpotKick

Hey mark. Wow. that was a lot of work. I don't have a disk image. on person from Apple , briefly suggested that I reinstall my OS. but then it would take all day to reinstall and configure all the applications. Since I have most everything working, and my laptop is so old, it's a definite no for me.

I did the following:

• reinstalled safari 15 from an Apple link
  • SAFE boot to clear cache
  • Reset the NVRAM

I did get two calls from an Apple second level support , and we downloaded an app to log data while I showed the SiriusXM audio problem on Safari. Since i'm running Catalina 10.15.7, it's a minor bug, and no worth much of Apple's time since the new OS, Monterey and new laptops I HOPE, will be announced this month.

glad you solved your problem. I almost did the security patch without safari 15, but unfortunately didn't .

Sep 22, 2021 9:51 AM in response to leroydouglas

Sep 22, 2021 3:29 PM in response to igirl1

I have had the same problem ( but only for Financial Institutions websites, including insurance co.s - one outlier -Xfinity and AT&T) Originally like you I thought it was Safari 15.0 which I downloaded on 9/21/21. So I reinstalled Safari 14.1.2 from Time Machine Back-up and the same problem continued.

It's not Safari...it's the Security Update to MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 which I believe is causing the problem.

So I re-installed ( Restored) my previous MacOS operating system /Hard Drive ( not just HD Mackintosh - Data) but everything as at 9/19/21 - i.e previous to the updates. And now everything for me at least works perfectly. No issues

Someone else suggested upgrading to Big Sur but I was not that keen, so effectively I have down graded to 10.15.7 before the Security Update/Safari 15

To Repeat, I don't believe the bug is in Safari.... it's in the Security Update posted at the same time.

But am no expert on this. All I know is that by reinstalling a previous version of MacOS from my Time Machine Back up I solved my problem

Safari 15 not opening websites - "a problem repeatedly occurred"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.