📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Caps Lock Delay - how to fix it

Hi! I always thought that the Caps Lock key on my wife's MacBook Air (butterfly keyboard) had a defect, as it failed to turn on and off when pressed quickly. Today I noticed that my MacBook Pro M1 has the same issue. So after a bit of prodding I stumbled upon a very easy fix.

I went to Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard and then I enabled Slow Keys and by clicking "Options" I set the time slider all the way to the left (as in quicker).

Apple must have set this delay so that you don't accidentally press the Caps Lock key when trying to type. For me it had the exact opposite effect.

The only downside is the key's repetition time is slow. Very slow. So now my if I hold down the Backspace key, it deletes letters very slowly. A workaround to this would be to use Option + Backspace. That way I can delete by word instead of by letter.

Does anyone have any idea if there's a fix to the Caps Lock delay issue without affecting key repetition?

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 9:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 10:17 AM

The issue is with MacBook Air 2019 with the butterfly keyboard and with a M1 MacBook Pro 2020. The OS is Big Sur, with the latest update, but the "feature" was also present in Catalina.

2 replies

Sep 22, 2021 10:15 AM in response to milea.inc

milea.inc wrote:

Hi! I always thought that the Caps Lock key on my wife's MacBook Air (butterfly keyboard) had a defect, as it failed to turn on and off when pressed quickly. Today I noticed that my MacBook Pro M1 has the same issue. So after a bit of prodding I stumbled upon a very easy fix.

I went to Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard and then I enabled Slow Keys and by clicking "Options" I set the time slider all the way to the left (as in quicker).

Apple must have set this delay so that you don't accidentally press the Caps Lock key when trying to type. For me it had the exact opposite effect.

The only downside is the key's repetition time is slow. Very slow. So now my if I hold down the Backspace key, it deletes letters very slowly. A workaround to this would be to use Option + Backspace. That way I can delete by word instead of by letter.

Does anyone have any idea if there's a fix to the Caps Lock delay issue without affecting key repetition?

You do not say what exact Mac

or

what exact macOS...

There was a caps lock delay and was a known issue— resolved with an update to the macOS

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Caps Lock Delay - how to fix it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.