Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ugly layout iOS15 on iPad

I upgraded my iPad 8th generation (2020) to iOS15. The layout of the home screen is extremely ugly with less distance between the icons and very large margins on the sides. How can I restore the layout of the home screen of my iPad to 5 by 4 icons like on iOS 14? Choosing large / small icons doesn’t make a difference.

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 10:45 AM

iPadOS14 and iPadOS15 differ in a number of aspects - the implementation of Widgets in the Today view of the first Home Screen differing considerably between the two major versions.

Whilst you are now able to freely position widgets on any of the Home Screens, you have lost the “compact” first Home Screen layout (that previously provided a compressed 5x6 grid of App/Folder icons simultaneously with the Today view. 

Now, without the previous compressed view, individual Widgets can be freely placed on any of the Home Screens. Where used, Widgets individually occupy elements of a 4x6 icon grid - with configurable widgets occupying 1x1. 1x2 and 2x2 elements of the grid, displacing App/Folder icons as necessary.

The net effect of adding Widgets to the Home Screen(s) results in reduced efficiency in using available screen space of the Home Screens. You cannot restore the previous compact view with the Today view. You can however, also place Widgets in a Slide Over view that can be summoned from any Home Screen - but this cannot be persistently docked with the first Home Page.

Apple do invite constructive feedback, comments and feature requests via their product feedback pages. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

You are encouraged to make use of this facility in expressing any views concerning issues, bugs, or functionality changes of which you are unhappy.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2021 10:45 AM in response to Ms.Petra

iPadOS14 and iPadOS15 differ in a number of aspects - the implementation of Widgets in the Today view of the first Home Screen differing considerably between the two major versions.

Whilst you are now able to freely position widgets on any of the Home Screens, you have lost the “compact” first Home Screen layout (that previously provided a compressed 5x6 grid of App/Folder icons simultaneously with the Today view. 

Now, without the previous compressed view, individual Widgets can be freely placed on any of the Home Screens. Where used, Widgets individually occupy elements of a 4x6 icon grid - with configurable widgets occupying 1x1. 1x2 and 2x2 elements of the grid, displacing App/Folder icons as necessary.

The net effect of adding Widgets to the Home Screen(s) results in reduced efficiency in using available screen space of the Home Screens. You cannot restore the previous compact view with the Today view. You can however, also place Widgets in a Slide Over view that can be summoned from any Home Screen - but this cannot be persistently docked with the first Home Page.

Apple do invite constructive feedback, comments and feature requests via their product feedback pages. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

You are encouraged to make use of this facility in expressing any views concerning issues, bugs, or functionality changes of which you are unhappy.

Sep 25, 2021 2:22 PM in response to AKRBTN

ugle or nice looking IOS 15 Ipad is more cumbersome to user.

Rather than a 1 step move to do something its now 2-3 steps. eg going to full screed on ipad, I have to go back to a chich of porivacy or history or bookmarks, then full screen. What happened to easy to navigate Apple products.

When I want to forward a webpage to someone I cannot, most of the time, since the keyboard will not appear. Have to reload the website and try e mailin a few times.

The Privacy issue is a pain-how can I permanently get out of it. Whyis that not under settings/safari?

When I am on a website and the page is long and I swipe down, it goes into privacy mode-was that not anticipated or tested?

Hereis another issue-every system update queries for passcdes and 2 factor----twice--after I turn it down the first time it leads me to the that agan.

I am still in my beta testing but I have no options, do I ? I can vote with my feed but my family only buys a couple apple products a year.

Ugly layout iOS15 on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.