Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15 iPhone 12 Pro - Location Services hollow arrow indicator always on in Status Bar

After installing iOS 15 on my iPhone 12 Pro, the Location Services hollow arrow is always present on Status Bar, top left of screen. I understand that 'A hollown arrow indicates that an item may recieve your location under certain conditions.' If this is the reason for it always being present on the Status Bar, isn't this assumed if you use Location Services?

I have checked my Location Services settings and only have it on all the time for 'Find My iPhone' and 'Emergency Calls and SOS'. I understand that is will appear from time to time for 'Find My iPhone' as a solid arrow, but the hollow arrow is persistently showing. I don't see the point of having this indicator on all the time as I know I use Location Services. And I don't want to turn the 'Status Bar Icon' off because I like to know when Location Services is being used for other apps where I have chosen to use 'While Using the App'.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 8:39 PM

Just to add...

So if you turn off 'Status Bar Icon', you still get alerted in the Status Bar if Location Services is being used by apps (sorry, my oversight). But you don't get alerted for System Services.

I liked how it worked in previous iOSs. I would like to be alerted for anything using my location but not have an icon sitting there all the time to alert you that a System Service may recieve your location under certain conditions. It's not necessary and it is assumed if you are using Location Services that something may trigger it.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2021 8:39 PM in response to jaybs

Just to add...

So if you turn off 'Status Bar Icon', you still get alerted in the Status Bar if Location Services is being used by apps (sorry, my oversight). But you don't get alerted for System Services.

I liked how it worked in previous iOSs. I would like to be alerted for anything using my location but not have an icon sitting there all the time to alert you that a System Service may recieve your location under certain conditions. It's not necessary and it is assumed if you are using Location Services that something may trigger it.

Oct 23, 2021 11:24 AM in response to jaybs

I have an iphone 12Pro as well, and i have observed the same thing. i've adjusted my privacy settings to the bare minimum, but find my iphone is killing my battery life. As a test i disabled find my iphone and my battery life was much better. i also have airtags, is this related and causing findmy to run constantly? apple, will this be addressed in ios 15.1?

Oct 28, 2021 1:16 PM in response to jaybs

Same here, just updated two iPads and hollow icon is always on due to find my. The strange thing is that it is ALWAYS on, even in airplane mode. Bug or what else? It disappears only if I turn off Find my iPad from privacy setting. Sometimes the icon turn from hollow to “full” when I open apps, with no reason, and turn hollow again after a while or closing the app.

Nov 24, 2021 10:47 AM in response to LucaBrasi888

Have the same issue since updating to IOS 15. I actually waited a while and just up updated so it's really IOS 15.1. Within the last 2 days, my Iphone SE (2020/2nd Gen) has had a constant, hollow, grey arrow related to location services with "find my iphone" under system services. In past, this never happened except briefly when it was updating. I have tried everything I can think of and even reset the "location and privacy" back to factory. It didn't make it go away. I know it is draining battery and in the last 2 days my battery life has gone from 90% to 86%!!! This isn't normal and it happened once before on an older phone model and only thing that seemingly fixed it was a new release of IOS version and it just stopped. I'm not sure my battery can wait that long if it continues. An alternative is to turn off "find my iphone" and it goes away then. That, of course, defeats the purpose of having it as no one expects to lose their phone so having it on is the preferred option. Anyone else have any suggestions or success with a fix? Has anyone called Apple? I know they often do not admit there are issues, but obviously something isn't right!

Thanks!

iOS 15 iPhone 12 Pro - Location Services hollow arrow indicator always on in Status Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.