Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Screentime Passcode

when I enter my apple id and password to change my screen time passcode it tells me I have added another failed attempt. How do I solve this?

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 6:23 PM

That means that you didn’t enter the Apple ID and password when you set up the screen time passcode. If you did not associate an Apple ID when you first created the passcode the only option is to restore your phone to factory settings and do not restore a backup, as the backup contains the screen time passcode→Restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2021 6:23 PM in response to WoodrowT

That means that you didn’t enter the Apple ID and password when you set up the screen time passcode. If you did not associate an Apple ID when you first created the passcode the only option is to restore your phone to factory settings and do not restore a backup, as the backup contains the screen time passcode→Restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Sep 23, 2021 4:31 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence - thanks for the reply. That is what I was finding from other sources. I am disappointed that the software allowed it to be set up and provide only one way to change it that was not required during set up of the screen time passcode. I believe it makes better sense to verify proper person changes by face id or two factor verification.

Sep 23, 2021 7:16 AM in response to WoodrowT

An Apple ID is recommended, but not required. And it should not be the same as the Apple ID that the phone is logged in to in the case of a phone used by a minor, where Screen Time serves its intended purpose of parental controls. If you are just using Screen Time to prevent “accidents” by the regular adult user you can turn it on without a passcode.

Sep 23, 2021 2:05 PM in response to WoodrowT

You don’t need to set it up with a new Apple ID, you can set it up again with the same Apple ID. And if you sync everything on it to iCloud (go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud and turn on all the switches) you can sync everything you previously synced back from iCloud after you set it up as a new phone. You will still have to download your apps from the app store, and your music. But you can’t restore a backup, as that will restore the screen time passcode.

If it was a personal phone and not one used by someone who needed parental controls there was never a reason to have a screen time passcode in the first place.

Changing Screentime Passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.