Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Platform Controller Hub Die Temp.

My MacBook Pro 16" fan has been running more than usually. I check iStat Menu Temps and find that my Platform Controller Hub Die Temp is 160.° I checked 30 day history and from Aug 22 to Sept 18 temp averaged about 135°. From Sept 18 to present Temp is averaging 155°.

Has there been an update to create this increase? Will the temp revert to normal?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 7:41 AM

In the future please post the temperatures in Celcius since that is what all the reviewers use and the majority of techs.

160F is 71C which is well within the normal operating range of Apple laptops. The USB-C Apple laptops will normally run a temperature anywhere between 65C to 95C depending on the workload. This is perfectly normal for these laptops. If you are saying the laptop is running hotter than normal when doing nothing, then you most likely have some third party software that is causing a problem. You can check for a software issue by running EtreCheck and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Try an SMC Reset.

Disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2021 7:41 AM in response to flattop149

In the future please post the temperatures in Celcius since that is what all the reviewers use and the majority of techs.

160F is 71C which is well within the normal operating range of Apple laptops. The USB-C Apple laptops will normally run a temperature anywhere between 65C to 95C depending on the workload. This is perfectly normal for these laptops. If you are saying the laptop is running hotter than normal when doing nothing, then you most likely have some third party software that is causing a problem. You can check for a software issue by running EtreCheck and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Try an SMC Reset.

Disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Platform Controller Hub Die Temp.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.