Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not use facetime portrait mode ipad & ios 14.x?

So I have an M1 iPad pro running 14.8. In Facetime there seems to be NO WAY for me to select "portrait mode (blurred background)." I bring up the "control panel" but it is in the bottom left corner, not right as all the apple documents say it is. Yes there is an Effects button. EXCEPT aside to a ton of basically picture image possibilities, nowhere can I see any relating to blur, or portrait mode. I can use that function just fine in the zoom app, just not in apple's own software.

Not happy that I HAVE to be in a live Facetime call to even try and monkey with this. Oh, does such a setting persist from call to call, or do I have to re-enable it every single time?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 11:40 AM

Hi Riverside_Guy,

It seems like you need help using Portrait Mode for iPad and we can help.

Your iPad needs to be using iPadOS 15 for you to be able to use Portrait Mode:

"Blur the background with Portrait mode

With iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, you can turn on Portrait mode to automatically blur the background and put the visual focus on you, the same way Portrait mode does in the Camera app.

1. When you're on a FaceTime call, tap your picture-in-picture tile.
  2. Tap the Portrait mode button  in the top left of your personal video tile.

To turn Portrait mode off, tap the Portrait mode button  again.

Portrait mode in FaceTime is supported on iPhone XS Max or later, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad mini (5th generation), and iPad Pro (3rd generation) and later."

Use FaceTime with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2021 11:40 AM in response to Riverside_Guy

Hi Riverside_Guy,

It seems like you need help using Portrait Mode for iPad and we can help.

Your iPad needs to be using iPadOS 15 for you to be able to use Portrait Mode:

"Blur the background with Portrait mode

With iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, you can turn on Portrait mode to automatically blur the background and put the visual focus on you, the same way Portrait mode does in the Camera app.

1. When you're on a FaceTime call, tap your picture-in-picture tile.
  2. Tap the Portrait mode button  in the top left of your personal video tile.

To turn Portrait mode off, tap the Portrait mode button  again.

Portrait mode in FaceTime is supported on iPhone XS Max or later, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad mini (5th generation), and iPad Pro (3rd generation) and later."

Use FaceTime with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Can not use facetime portrait mode ipad & ios 14.x?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.