Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini M1

Can I use my Intel 7 mini as an external drive connected to my new M1 Mini?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 12:05 PM

Hello. If you need to transfer files from one computer to the other, you could connect the two computers using Target Disk Mode to have the i7 Mac mini show up as an external hard drive to your M1 Mac mini. I would not suggest doing this in order to use your old Mac mini as a long-term hard drive, however. Your best option to have an external hard drive to use with your new M1 Mac mini is to purchase a dedicated external hard drive for this purpose.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2021 12:05 PM in response to delacrul

Hello. If you need to transfer files from one computer to the other, you could connect the two computers using Target Disk Mode to have the i7 Mac mini show up as an external hard drive to your M1 Mac mini. I would not suggest doing this in order to use your old Mac mini as a long-term hard drive, however. Your best option to have an external hard drive to use with your new M1 Mac mini is to purchase a dedicated external hard drive for this purpose.

Mac Mini M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.