Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer phone

I have recently got a new Iphone. I want to give my old phone to an in-law. They currently have a Android device but we use the same carrier service. Once I reset the old phone to factory settings how do we activate it on his account?

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 1:09 PM

Here is how to transition your iPhone to another user:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (CA)

The new owner will need to set up an Apple ID.

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Sharing an Apple ID is a Bad Idea, and will usually only get content and notifications and purchases and security conflated.

If you do want to share content, you can set up Family Sharing.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

How the cellular service transition happens depends on the carrier. Sometimes it's swapping the SIM or loading the eSIM, sometimes the carrier has to be involved to move the Android plan around. Or this old iPhone to your new iPhone. Sometimes the carrier sends a new SIM. Check with your carrier.

The existing Android phone will need to use a nano-SIM, if that's to be swapped over into the iPhone, too.

The previous reply here nicely covers transferring the SIM around.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2021 1:09 PM in response to JCM2021

Here is how to transition your iPhone to another user:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (CA)

The new owner will need to set up an Apple ID.

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Sharing an Apple ID is a Bad Idea, and will usually only get content and notifications and purchases and security conflated.

If you do want to share content, you can set up Family Sharing.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

How the cellular service transition happens depends on the carrier. Sometimes it's swapping the SIM or loading the eSIM, sometimes the carrier has to be involved to move the Android plan around. Or this old iPhone to your new iPhone. Sometimes the carrier sends a new SIM. Check with your carrier.

The existing Android phone will need to use a nano-SIM, if that's to be swapped over into the iPhone, too.

The previous reply here nicely covers transferring the SIM around.

Sep 23, 2021 1:03 PM in response to JCM2021

Hello from my Understanding you want to connect your In-Laws Carrier to your old phone, All you need to do is take the SIM card out of the Android and in to the iPhone. Almost every Phone Carrier uses Physical SIM cards however some use E Sim if they do use E Sim then you need to call the carrier. I will attach a video below that may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m_xfVgxkZI

One other thing is you need to make sure the old Android has a Nano Sim inside (Unless its a really old Sim Card)... if not you would need to buy a new SIM card from your Carrier... To tell if you have a Nano Sim try to place the SIM card inside the iPhone and if it won't fit you need a new one.

PS. You dont need a Sim Eject Tool all you need is a Paper clip as an Alternative if you can't find a Sim Eject Tool.

Transfer phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.