Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 15.0 doesn't play audio

Since I installed Safari 15.0, I can't get audio on sites like Google Translate. I just get a message "Can't playback audio. Try refreshing the page". Refreshing the page does nothing.

The settings for this website "allow all auto-play" and the speaker is unmuted.

The audio works fine on Google Chrome and Firefox.

Does anyone know how to fix the audio in Safari? Thanks!

I'm using a macbook pro, catalina 10.15.7

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 8:48 AM

Go the Safari on top left, then click preferences and then go to the end and click Advanced Tab, then check the box next to " Show Develop menu in menu bar". Now close preferences

Now Develop menu will show on the menus on top of safari click it and then go " Experimental Features" then uncheck " GPU process: Media"

now it is important to close safari by Quitting it from Safari menu then click "Quit Safari"

Now open Safari again and it should work now

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2022 8:48 AM in response to Dapod

Go the Safari on top left, then click preferences and then go to the end and click Advanced Tab, then check the box next to " Show Develop menu in menu bar". Now close preferences

Now Develop menu will show on the menus on top of safari click it and then go " Experimental Features" then uncheck " GPU process: Media"

now it is important to close safari by Quitting it from Safari menu then click "Quit Safari"

Now open Safari again and it should work now

Nov 1, 2021 1:51 PM in response to Dapod

I have the same problem on my iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) with the latest Catalina OS 10.15.7. All my settings in Safari preferences are set correctly, still no sound in Google Translate. Refreshing the page does nothing. I switched to Chrome which works perfectly. It is disappointing that Apple releases software updates without testing prior to release. I also have a MacBook with the Big Sur OS v. 11.6 and the sound does work with Google Translate.

Nov 24, 2021 4:03 PM in response to bobvjsingh

I have the same problem too. I have a late 2016 MaBook Pro running macOS Monterey 12.0.1 and Safari 15.1 (17612.2.9.1.20). When I open Google Translate, clicking on the speaker icon works one or two times, to hear the pronunciation, then the third time it cuts out, and no longer produces any sound. The last time I tried it, it cut out in the middle of a sentence. I have to close/re-open Google Translate, the it works one or two times again, then cuts out again. very frustrating. As previous people have said, the speaker icon works fine when using Google Translate with the Chrome browser. This is a problem with the Safari browser, and has not been fixed in the last few updates.

Dec 2, 2021 2:43 AM in response to Dapod

my problem was fixed by.... playing a YouTube video.. what a surprise...

lucky I didn't follow a troublesome procedure like cleaning the cache or something.. maybe I should for a while..I don't know. anyhow. to once again hear the sound from google translate is so good. better than mechanical sound from DeepL. But then DeepL seems doing a better job at translating a page. still not perfect. but good for AI intelligence , anyways

Jan 4, 2022 12:30 PM in response to thanosdol

I discovered something - at least as it relates to Goggle Translate. I had a "pinned" tab on Safari for Google translate and when accessing it, I received the message about "Can't playback audio" however when I went to a clean tab and accessed Google Translate the audio was fine. So at least in my case the problem seems related to a "pinned" tab!

Safari 15.0 doesn't play audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.