Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dolby Atmos not working with update to TVOS 15

I've updated to IOS/TVOS 15 on my Apple TV 4K. As a result, despite all settings being correct, Dolby Atmos is not working with Apple Music tracks, other than giving some sound out of the left front speaker only. Is it possibly a bug or is Dolby Atmos not yet supported in IOS15 for the Apple TV 4K?

Everything was fine before the update; the only thing that's changed has been the update from 14.7 to 15.0 re the operating system for the Apple TV 4K. I've restarted/rebooted etc, checked all settings to no avail...

Thanks so much for any knowledge and answers about this...

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 11:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 8:21 AM

It's working fine on mine.

Please execute as follows:

1. Unplug your modem for 2-3 minutes and restart.
  2. Unplug your router for 2-3 minutes and restart.
  3. Unplug your Apple TV for 2-3 minutes and restart and then retest.

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 26, 2021 11:54 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for your kind response. I did a cold boot of the entire LAN as per your suggestion, including un-plugging all relevant devices; unfortunately the issue remains.

What I have additionally noticed is that in Apple TV settings/apps/music app/Dolby Atmos, that if I toggle the Dolby atmos setting between Automatic and off (there is no 'always on' setting as before with tvOS 14.7) - the sound will sometimes give me full Dolby Atmos for part of the duration of a particular track.

However when a new track starts, I can hear atmos surround for perhaps a second, and then the sound collapses mainly to the left front channel, and at a lower loudness level, to the right. No sound at all from centre or rears - so two channel only - but at a low volume on both fronts.

I wonder if with the tvOS 15, something might have changed with it that does not 'fit' with my hardware setup. My TV is HDMI 1.4 - mostly likely B, as it dates from 2012. It does have ARC as part of the HDMI 1.4b specs, but not eARC - whether there is something different there in tvOS 15 I am unsure.

My limited understanding of this is that Apples implementation of Dolby Atmos uses Dolby Digital plus 5.1 lossy compression, with Dolby MAT 2.0; as such there is no passthrough and the Apple TV converts to multi channel PCM which it then sends to the TV. Certainly the TV which has an integral surround sound processor, reports that the incoming stream is PCM.

I'd also mention that my Apple TV 4K 64gb is version one - purchased not quite 3 years ago - whether an 'upgrade' to the latest version which makes mention of supporting eARC would make any difference I am unsure.

I should also mention that I am having no issues with 2 channel sources, or multi channel surround sound sources through the Apple TV 4K, which includes movies purchased from the Apple TV store - all of which play flawlessly in multi-channel surround sound, streamed online from Apples servers.

Additionally, nothing has changed re my hardware setup - the issue is only occurring in the Apple Music app, and with Dolby Atmos sources only.

If any one is able to shed light on the issue It would be greatly appreciated - or perhaps if I should raise the issue with Apple?

Many thanks again for your thoughts and kind response - much appreciated

Jonboi. :-)

Sep 27, 2021 2:31 AM in response to tommy.stranack

Thanks so much for sharing your experience - am glad to hear I'm not alone on this, as its so frustrating to lose Dolby Atmos, or more to the point, discrete multi-channel surround sound on Apple music streaming services.

Given that apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime, along with Apple movies all work perfectly fine with surround sound, I cannot help but feel it may be a bug in tvOS 15 as regards the music app and Dolby Atmos.

In particular I've done some further reading on the purpose of ARC and eARC as it applies to Dolby ATmos.

Effectively, as best I understand it, this should not matter in my setup, as ARC/eARC is data that is sent upstream of the TV to say a receiver.

In the case of the Apple TV 4K in my setup, it is sending data downstream to the TV - which has an integrated surround sound module - signal from the SS processor in the TV then being sent to active speakers and the centre channel speaker system in the TV is also fully active and doubles as the centre channel in a surround sound role - so ARC is not used as regards sending on info to a receiver, as there isn't one.

My understanding also, is that the Apple TV decodes the Dolby Atmos signal and sends it on as multi-channel PCM via Dolby MAT.

Certainly it worked before and I would hope that it will work again - I wonder if apple are aware of the problem - they certainly need to be!

Thanks again for your comments - am very relived I'm not the only one experiencing this..

Jonboi.. :-)

Dolby Atmos not working with update to TVOS 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.