Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't verify with phone number - account recovery

I have some vague memory of changing the password on my sons iPad, and now I don't remember it. I tried to reset it using my phone number, as my phone number is linked to his iPad. Then I got some unknown error and that didn't work.

Therefore I had to restart the whole recover password process, which Apple says will take 13 days. In the meantime, one is not meant to use the device with the password. So basically Apple wants me to tell my 9-year old son he can't use his iPad for 13 days. I guess the people working at Apple must all be childless, as that seems like an incredibly tall ask to me.

I'm wondering if I should just wipe his iPad and start with a new appleID. The problem is just that I don't want to wipe where he had gotten in his games. That would be a disaster.

Not sure what to do. Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 2:39 AM

11 replies

Sep 24, 2021 6:52 AM in response to agoico

Erasing a device does not remove activation lock, which is tied to the AppleID used with iCloud. So erasing it won’t fix your problem as you will not be able to complete activation and setup without the AppleID password.

All you can do at this point is wait for the automated account recovery process to complete. And then going forward, be more careful with account passwords - maybe get a password manager app (mSecure, 1Password, etc) and keep the passwords you make recorded for future reference.

You can also take complete control and use a recovery key (How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support). However if you do go that route, do NOT lose or forget that 28 digit recovery key, as without it, there will be no mechanism at all to recover the account. The advantage of a recovery key, as long as you record and keep safe that 28 character key, is you don’t need Apple at all to recover an AppleID when you forget the passcode.

Oct 21, 2021 6:56 AM in response to agoico

Contact Apple ID Support for assistance.  See the Apple Support articles below for contact information.  

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.   -

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.  *   (Link doesn’t always load)  

Get Support      -    Work through the screens to get a chat option. You may have to pick a slightly different problem.

Apple Support schedule phone call.   -

If necessary, try Twitter

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport.    -          

From the Apple Support article below. 

Without proof of your identity via security questions and other carefully selected criteria, Apple Support can't help you reset a password or perform any other actions on your account. These policies are audited and reviewed on a regular basis.

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support.      *

Sep 24, 2021 6:38 AM in response to Limnos

This will also be a good learning opportunity about in the how age of technology things like usernames and passwords to accounts are really important. It used to be if somebody had improper access to your account all they could do was post to a BBS under your name. Now they can clear out your bank accounts and steal your identity.

Sep 28, 2021 6:56 AM in response to agoico

agoico wrote:

But are those password managers secure?

Yes, they use high end encryption. They have been around for many years (at least mSecure and 1Password).

Regardless, for your accounts, you have to accept responsibility for remembering your passwords. Recovering an account should not be a simple, easy quick solution as that simply means a company is not being rigorous in verifying the account is actually yours to recover.

Oct 21, 2021 4:16 AM in response to Michael Black

You know I still have not gotten any information about how to get into the account. And I had not been able to get into my sons iPad for a month when I wrote that post. So basically I have not gotten to update his iPad for two months. Apple on the other hand is quite happy charging me for stuff that I can't cancel on his iPad.

So I think it is quite different looking for an easy fix, and waiting to two months and going to be able to update my sons Singing Monsters game.

Oct 31, 2021 4:53 PM in response to agoico

That old review isn’t even for the current version. See a more up to date review at https://www.techradar.com/reviews/msecure

I use it on several iOS, iPadOS, MacOS and one Windows 10 device. I don’t normally sync the windows 10 device since it’s a work computer so only saves work related site passwords. All the other devices sync via iCloud.

When I do want to make copies of my work passwords on my other devices (as backups in case the Lenovo dies), I just switch it to LAN sync over WiFi and make a one-way sync to my Apple devices, then turn off WiFi sync and have to Apple devices go back to iCloud sync.

can't verify with phone number - account recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.