Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple music on 5.1 AVR

Can Apple TV output Apple Music spatial content when connected to 5.1 AVR?

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 6:36 AM

About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music - Apple Support

Spatial audio for Apple Music is supported for Dolby Atmos supported equipment.

You would need an Apple TV 4K model. You would need a Dolby Atmos capable AV receiver, or a Dolby Atmos capable soundbar, or HomePods 2018, or AirPods, or supported Beats gear.

That being said, some AVRs may have their own virtualization settings, to re-process a stereo signal to include all speakers. (But that takes the stereo signal from the source, not the spatial audio.)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2021 6:36 AM in response to rajiv104

About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music - Apple Support

Spatial audio for Apple Music is supported for Dolby Atmos supported equipment.

You would need an Apple TV 4K model. You would need a Dolby Atmos capable AV receiver, or a Dolby Atmos capable soundbar, or HomePods 2018, or AirPods, or supported Beats gear.

That being said, some AVRs may have their own virtualization settings, to re-process a stereo signal to include all speakers. (But that takes the stereo signal from the source, not the spatial audio.)

Sep 27, 2021 2:11 AM in response to rajiv104

If you leave your AVR on auto output it will output surround for dolby atmos content and stereo for 2 channel content. I have an old Marantz 5.1 AVR that doesn't support dolby atmos but it does provide multi out sound. It sounds incredible. There seems to be a bug in TVos 15 currently however in that some dolby atmos music will only play from the front left speaker. Was working fine in TVOS 14 so assume Apple will fix this in a future update. Hope this helps.

Sep 24, 2021 9:17 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Got it. Thanks once again.

I was thinking of buying Apple TV 4k, purely for Apple Music spatial and lossless to be played on my Denon 5.1 AVR. Currently I'm streaming through firestick and cromecast.

I guess I won't get any advantage with Apple TV 4k on my current setup.

Do you think there will be significant improvement in the audio quality from Apple music point of view?

Apple music on 5.1 AVR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.