Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes crashes when selecting iPhone Summary tab

I can launch iTunes and navigate around, and the phone is connected, unlocked and recognized. Everything is all good until I try to select the iPhone Summary tab. It changes to the iPhone page, but I get a spinning wheel then the program closes within seconds.

I've got the latest build of Windows 10, 21H1, fully patched) and the latest version of iTunes (12.12.1) I have also just updated my iOS to 15 (on my iPhone 8 Plus) to see if that was the issue. I turned off iTunes asking me automatically to download/install iOS updates, and have run iTunes diagnostics without any errors detected. I have uninstalled, reinstall, and even gone back several versions, all with the same outcome.

The device drivers are up to date and device manager shows no issues. The phone is functional in other applications on the computer (ie photo importing.)

Not sure what else I can try!

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 8:52 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities CGibs,

Thank you for contacting us. You have come to the right place and we are happy to assist you. We understand you're having an issue with iTunes crashing.  We can understand why you’d reach out for a solution. We have included two links below in regards to removing iTunes and it's related components in a specific order and reinstall.

"Don't uninstall these components in a different order, or only uninstall some of them. Doing so might have unintended effects. After you uninstall a component, you might be prompted to restart your computer. Wait to restart your computer until you're finished removing all of the components."

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

Also the link below is from Microsoft Support page to repair an app.

Repair apps and programs in Windows 10

Let us know if this resolves the issue, or if you need further assistance.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Best regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2021 8:52 AM in response to CGibs

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities CGibs,

Thank you for contacting us. You have come to the right place and we are happy to assist you. We understand you're having an issue with iTunes crashing.  We can understand why you’d reach out for a solution. We have included two links below in regards to removing iTunes and it's related components in a specific order and reinstall.

"Don't uninstall these components in a different order, or only uninstall some of them. Doing so might have unintended effects. After you uninstall a component, you might be prompted to restart your computer. Wait to restart your computer until you're finished removing all of the components."

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

Also the link below is from Microsoft Support page to repair an app.

Repair apps and programs in Windows 10

Let us know if this resolves the issue, or if you need further assistance.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Best regards.

Sep 27, 2021 7:22 AM in response to CGibs

CGibs,

Thank you for your response back. Are you able to boot your computer into safe mode and see if it will allow iTunes to open correctly? Also have you tried using a different USB port or cable? Next thing we would suggest is to pair the iPhone to iTunes by following this article: Set up the iTunes Remote app for iTunes on PC

Let us know if the above steps resolve the issue for you, or more assistance is needed.

Cheers.

iTunes crashes when selecting iPhone Summary tab

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.