Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil 1st gen not working after iOS 15 update

My 1st generation apple pencil is not pairing with my iPad after the latest iOS 15 update. Have rebooted several times, tried pairing, charging, etc. but to no avail. Has anyone experienced this and if so, how were you able to get it working again?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 6:52 PM

5 replies

Sep 26, 2021 9:17 AM in response to ElleLolo

Hello ElleLolo.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're experiencing issues with your Apple Pencil no longer pairing to your iPad. We can understand how this would be an issue. Allow us to investigate this issue and assist in any way we can.

It does sound like you've done a great job in troubleshooting this specific issue. We would still like to share a helpful resource with you below:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

Please follow all the steps listed under "If your Apple Pencil won't pair with your iPad". If you continue to experience issues, you might want to consider reaching out to Apple Support for help. Just in case, you can use the link below to reach them:

Get Support - Apple

We hope this information is useful. Cheers.

Sep 26, 2021 8:15 PM in response to ElleLolo

I have 2 iPads, both were on beta, worked fine up until this week sometime…

Both show this as being up to date but looks weird… my 1st gen Apple Pencil will pair fine with both but on either, won’t change off of pencil to any of the other options including the eraser… and I have trouble getting the tool bar to come up even… it will switch to all the different tools but not respond with using them… I deleted the beta profile off both devices as well…

Hopefully someone can at least let me know if my pencil is broken…

Oct 12, 2021 5:22 PM in response to ElleLolo

I’ve been having the same issue, and it’s making me nuts. I use my pencil to draw with Procreate, and ever since I upgraded to the newest OS, the pencil won’t stay connected. It’ll draw on the Lock Screen, show up under Apple Pencil, etc; but as soon as I unlock the iPad it stops working.

I'm literally about to erase my iPad and put the old OS back on it just so I can freaking draw.

Apple pencil 1st gen not working after iOS 15 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.