Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

manual config VPN ipad

Although the option is present on my iPhone, the option to manually configure a VPN connectoid is missing from my iPad (IOS15). Is there a workaround? I am traveling and want to access a web UI that has a private IP address inside my home system (I need to chech a configuration option). External VPN providers won't allow me to connect to a private VPN server.

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 1:20 AM

3 replies

Sep 25, 2021 3:20 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for taking time to respond. I have two iPads, a 2 and a 3, both running IOS15. There is no option to manually configure a VPN connectoid at that location. All that is there is "Sign in to Your Work or School Account." Clicking on that brings up a screen that asks for an email address. Providing any email address goes nowhere. A non-iCloud address gets the response, "Sign In Failed. The account being signed-in to already exists and cannot be used again." An iCloud email gets the response, "Sign In Failed. Your Apple ID does not have proper privileges to perform this action."

Wait--I just found it! I had to click on, "VPN VPN Not Connected" at the top of that dialog. That brought up a screen with "Add VPN Configuration," which is where I needed to be. Thanks, LotusPilot (great car, BTW)! I couldn't have done it without you!

manual config VPN ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.