Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV sound out of sync

Hi,

After upgrade to tvOS 15 airplay audio is out of sync. Before I transmited audio to external yamaha ysp-5600 and everything was worked perfectly! Now audio is out of sync or pausing even video which is not streaming anywhere is laging or droping. Complete mess.

Tried everything without luck. Funny thing is so android cast on my Sony TV is working perfectly. Shame on you Apple.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 2:23 AM

30 replies

Sep 30, 2021 3:10 AM in response to Bryantrichar

Same here, i've done a lot of test and this is just shameful. Airplay is a proprietary protocol, they must know everything but no, it's a mess... bah

My configuration:

• Apple TV 4K 2017 *WIRED*
  • Panasonic GZ950
  • Airport Express 802.11n *WIRED* connected to Rotel RA-1062 ampli

All wired to the same Netgear gigabit switch

I've just reinitialized the ATV yesterday with no luck.

I've done some other test with my hardware:

• ipad (ipadOS 15.0) streaming audio to Airport Express via Airplay (Rotel output audio) -> A/V in sync
  • ipad (ipadOS 15.0) streaming A/V to ATV4K (tvOS 15.0) via Airplay (TV output audio) -> A/V in sync
  • iphone (iOS 15.0) streaming audio to Airport Express via Airplay (Rotel output audio) -> A/V in sync
  • iphone (iOS 15.0) streaming A/V to ATV4K (tvOS 15.0) via Airplay (TV output audio) -> A/V in sync
  • ATV4K (tvOS 15.0) streaming audio to Sony Headphones via Bluetooth (Headphones output audio) -> A/V in sync
  • ATV4K (tvOS 15.0) streaming audio to Airport Express via Airplay (Rotel output audio) -> A/V out of sync, video judder and stutter

The same happens in all refresh rates (60,50,25,24hz), video modes (SDR,HDR,DV) and with frame matching on or off.

So the problem seems indeed a problem of the new video player in tvOS 15.0 with airplay...

So disappointed after a so boring release without new features, that even broke things that usually worked

Hope for a RAPID fix in TvOS 15.1...

Sep 29, 2021 8:21 PM in response to aigars16

Same for me, I have a house full of Apple TV 4K’s and 2 Yamaha RX-A1060’s after TVOS 15, Airplay audio is ahead of video and increases as time goes on. Sending to AirPlay 2 devices is good and sending from iPhone to yamaha airplay is good. Only from Apple TV’s to either of my receivers am I having this problem.

This is really blowing movie nights by the way.

Sep 30, 2021 5:02 PM in response to Bryantrichar

I bet that you use an Airplay1 receiver like mine Airport Express 802.11n ...

Because i've just configured shairport-sync oft airplay2 on a RPI4 and that works flawlessy...

I think that timing protocol (PTP) that use Airplay2 for multiroom is used also for lip sync in 15.0 on AppleTV....

Dear Apple, i've done half of the job for free, now it's your turn to fix the issue.

Oct 2, 2021 3:04 PM in response to aigars16

I have similar problem. I use an Apple 4K to send the video to the TV (HDMI). Sound is "sent" to 3rd generation Apple TV to utilize the optical audio out. Prior to tvOS15 this worked very well. After update to tvOS15, sound and audio become more and more out of sync with time.

I solved it by taking the Apple 4K out of the system and just using the Apple 3rd generation TV!

Oct 3, 2021 11:40 AM in response to aigars16

I use an AppleTV 4 (HD) with HDMI to a beamer and the audio is going to a AppleTV 3 to feed it optically into my HiFi.

Have exactly the same issues with the audio advanced to the picture.

There are at least 10 software engineers doing nothing but this audio network transport of the AppleTV. How can they mess it up at generation 15 ? Why is there no student checking it with some devices before they roll it out?

Oct 4, 2021 1:09 PM in response to elmofles

It's totally unacceptable: no one even tried to play audio through airplay before release of a final...

Shameless.

For me is more and more hard to justify the price premium on Apple products...

I miss Jobs era when things "just works"... Airplay1 protocol is from 2004, it's totally unacceptable that after 17 years we experience a bug like this on a market release. Really really unacceptable.

Oct 9, 2021 5:27 PM in response to aigars16

Same problem here using Apple TV 4K and AirPlay across all apps: Netflix, amazon, etc, etc

Out of synch appears very quickly within minutes or less. Restarting the app fixes it but it happens again after a few mins.

This is making Apple TV absolutely unusable ..

Please fix me it ASAP before I decide to buy an Amazon or Google device!

Alx

Apple TV sound out of sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.