Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay

I have an iPhone 13 Pro running the latest version of iOS 15. I have a 2019 RAV4 that runs CarPlay via plugging my phone into the USB port.

When I plug my phone into my car, CarPlay starts as normal. All CarPlay features run as normal except two things. First: when trying to play music through Apple Music, CarPlay will crash and CarPlay will restart. Second: when making a phone call, the call will work as normal until I end the call. When I end the call, CarPlay will crash and CarPlay will restart.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue with their iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 15?

This wasn’t happening with my iPhone 12 Pro running iOS 15.

(Disclaimer: I am not a developer and both phones are running public released iOS 15)

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 3:01 PM

I have a 2020 GMC Canyon, doing pretty much the same thing with new iPhone 13 Pro on iOS 15. A couple things I will note:

1. I can connect via Bluetooth and play Apple Music fine, until I connect the cable and CarPlay starts up and crashes.
  2. It’s not just Apple Music that crashes it. If I have CarPlay up and running, and scroll a webpage or other App like Reddit, when a video starts with an audio stream, that also crashes CarPlay.

So it’s almost any type of audio that seems to crash it.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2021 3:01 PM in response to bigja14

I have a 2020 GMC Canyon, doing pretty much the same thing with new iPhone 13 Pro on iOS 15. A couple things I will note:

1. I can connect via Bluetooth and play Apple Music fine, until I connect the cable and CarPlay starts up and crashes.
  2. It’s not just Apple Music that crashes it. If I have CarPlay up and running, and scroll a webpage or other App like Reddit, when a video starts with an audio stream, that also crashes CarPlay.

So it’s almost any type of audio that seems to crash it.

Sep 25, 2021 6:07 PM in response to bigja14

Hi,

Having the same problem:

Vehicle: 2021 Toyota Corolla SE 6MT

Phone: iPhone 13

iOS Version: 15.0

Issue:

When connecting via carplay, carplay crashes when trying to play music either via apple music, locally stored music (synced from itunes) or via an third-party app (Pandora was test as well as a local stations streaming app).

Another person discovered disabling the EQ feature in the iphone stopped the crashing and allowed all of the above mentioned items to work correctly.

The setting in question is:

Settings -> Music -> EQ

I had this set to Late Night. Setting this to off is the only option in the list that allows carplay to function properly.

Additionally, since the iOS 15 update, when my phone is connected via carplay, the display in my cars response time to taps has slowed significantly. When my phone is disconnected from carplay this issue subsides.

None of the above issues occur when the phone is connected via Bluetooth only.

Sep 25, 2021 9:16 PM in response to bigja14

I also just got an iPhone 13 Pro Max. Transferred from an11 Pro Max that was on iOS 15 and CarPlay was working fine.

Plug in the 13 and CarPlay starts, then quits. Removing the car from CarPlay and resetting it didn't help. EQ setting has been OFF for years, so that's not going to help.

Just reset all setting on the 13 and will check in the morning if that helps get CarPlay working properly.

Using it on a 2019 Honda CRV. Was flawless before with every iPhone and iOS upgrades.

But I did notice that the phone arrived saying it had iOS 15, but the Software Upgrade indicated that iOS 15 was available, so I ran the updater again.

Sep 25, 2021 11:31 PM in response to Michael C. Blasco

That happened to me, too. iPhone 13 Pro. Very strange that it ships with iOS 15 and then tells you that there’s an update to iOS 15.

CarPlay is totally broken for me, via USB connection on a 2019 RAV4. It worked great with an iPhone 11 Pro running iOS 15, but with the new phone, it won’t work at all. The EQ fix doesn’t apply to me because I never enabled EQ, and double-checked that it wasn’t on.

CarPlay is one of the most important things on my phone, and it being broken really sucks. I hope a fix is released soon.

Sep 26, 2021 7:41 AM in response to jjeffers

EQ on /Off and Siri seemed to reset. I reprogrammed Siri and plugged iPhone 13 PM and Spotify worked after it asked me to confirm the Headunit was being set up for Carplay.

I searched forums for the past 2 days and the other option was to reset network settings without erasing the iphone. That helped a few people.

good Luck

Lee

Sep 26, 2021 8:17 AM in response to leeyac

I went out to the car this morning to try a couple of the fixes suggested, plugged the phone into the USB cable and... Carplay worked just fine. Mysterious.

I'm glad it's working, and I hope it keeps working, but I'd really like to know why. I wonder if Toyota pushed a software update? But all I can do is wonder, because the "update history" page in the car's software menu that's supposed to tell me when updates were applied is blank.

Oct 5, 2021 5:33 AM in response to bigja14

Has anyone actually had the turn EQ off work around help? I have a Acura and this did nothing for me as it wasn't even turned on. To satisfy Apple, I turned it on then back off. nope... no help.

When Carplay starts to load, it freezes my infotainment system. no sounds. no changes. just locked tight. unplug the phone, everything works fine. plug phone back into the USB, Carplay starts up and freezes system again.

just completed a 1k road trip and talk about being an annoying thing to deal with.... geez...

IOS 15.0.1 updated 10/5/21 - no help.

Oct 7, 2021 10:28 AM in response to Lars_1980

It seems this is a large scale issue. It would be nice if Apple would acknowledge the issue and let us know what is being done to remedy it. It’s clearly not just an iPhone 13 issue. It’s an iOS 15 and 15.1 issue that needs resolving ASAP. I’m due for an upgrade with my carrier and I’m pretty dang close to switching to an Android if they don’t let us know what is going on and when we can expect to see this fixed.

Oct 7, 2021 10:31 AM in response to leeyac

Mine was already off to begin with. Tried turning off the phone and turning it on again and nothing. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling all my music apps…nothing. Clearly this is not an issue with the EQ thing because in other threads, people do that and it still doesn’t work. This is an iOS 15 & 15.0.1 issue that needs to be fixed ASAP so that Apple users can actually enjoy the services we pay for. We pay for Apple Music, Amazon Music and so much more and we can’t even use them in our cars!

Oct 8, 2021 6:01 PM in response to bigja14

We have 3 Toyotas and 1 new 13. (2 more on the way) After 3 days of scouring the web and trying every possibility out there, we crossed this thread, gave it a go and we’re successful. Switch that EQ from late night. Yes, Apple needs to address this issue. Yes, Toyota probably needs an update. And now I’m anxious to get our new phones finally. (Was seriously dreading the trade.)

Oct 10, 2021 8:26 AM in response to NickfromPretoria

Also have this problem. I also had an iPhone 11 Pro Max and was beta testing iOS 15 and never experienced the issue. As soon as I got the iPhone 13 Pro Max the issue occurs for me. I’ve tried enabling/disabling the EQ settings, but that doesn’t fix the issue for me. I also play music using Deezer, and this seems to occur the most when using Apple/Google maps and playing music, but maybe that’s just a coincidence. When I get the crash it disconnects my phone entirely from the car and I have to unplug the phone for it to recognize it’s plugged in and pull up CarPlay again.

CarPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.