Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 pro not enough storage

Trying to setup my wife’s iPhone 13 pro 256gb and it says transfer cannot be completed because not enough storage on new device. The new iPhone 13 pro is a 256gb. Her old xs is 256gb and currently has 170gb used. What gives apple? First no charger with new devices and now this? If I’m not mistaken this has been a problem for a while on other older model iPhones. Is there a “fix”?

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 8:41 AM

2 replies
29 replies

Sep 26, 2021 1:16 PM in response to Eddiehansen1983

Hi Eddiehansen1983,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand you aren't able to transfer your wife's iPhone to her new one due to a message about storage.

If you're using the method of Quick Start you'll want to keep the previous iPhone near the new iPhone 13 Pro through the data transfer. Please make sure to keep both devices connected to a power source and until the data migration completes. Transfer times can vary based on factors such as the connection type that you're using, network conditions, and the amount of data being transferred: Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

For issues with restoring an iCloud backup or backup from a computer, we suggest to follow these two articles: If you can't back up to iCloud or restore from iCloud backup failed and If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup

Please let us know if that helps.

All the best.

Sep 26, 2021 5:59 PM in response to Soosie_J215

Unfortunately I have tried exactly that several times only to receive the same message every attempt. This is very disappointing. A quick google search of this topic shows this has been an issue for some people to back to at least the Xs. I have transferred from old to new iPhones many times and never had this issue. Hopefully someone at apple will correct this very soon.

Oct 5, 2021 6:23 AM in response to Eddiehansen1983

Thanks for your reply Eddiehansen1983.

If you still need help getting the new iPhone set up, make sure both devices are fully updated to iOS 15.0.1. That was just released recently and could assist with this issue.

If the issue remains, and you still aren't able to set up her new iPhone even restoring from a backup, the next best step would be to reach out to our support teams. You can reach them through this link: 

Get Support - Apple

You can also contact our phone support directly through the number listed for your country at this link: 

Contact Apple for support and service

Take care.

Dec 25, 2021 12:30 PM in response to Eddiehansen1983

Did anyone ever come up with a fix for this? Same issue today

Iphone 11 128GB with 86.6 used trying to go to Iphone 13 128

both running 15.2

Tried side by side and itunes, same error

Sent diagnostics to apple support, no resolution yet

They're having me try an icloud transfer now, but the new phone seems to be the issue with both methods I've tried, so I am not confident in the icloud method.

Dec 29, 2021 5:39 PM in response to Eddiehansen1983

I had this problem too. I have 196G in my iPhone 8 and transfer to new iPhone 13 Pro with 256G. It failed with the exact error as you showed by direct phone transfer. Then I try transfer by iTune in the PC windows 10. Backup succeed. Restore failed again due to not enough space in the new phone. Very interesting!!! I check the size of the backup files. It is 300G. For some reason, Apple expanses the size. Then I reduced my old phone size to 164G by removing some app and pictures. Now the iTune backup shows 249G which is smaller than 256G iPhone capacity. This time restore succeed. After new IPhone up, the it shows the storage usage is 185G. I hope this will helpful, especially for people who use iCloud for photos.

Dec 29, 2021 6:20 PM in response to JasonL2468

Same problem here. I bought four iPhone 13 Pros with 128Gb and trying to transfer from four iPhone 11 128gb content and having the same errors on all of them using the 'quick setup method'. Tried backing up iPhone 11 to iTunes, the backup is successful but when I tried to restore to the new iPhone 13 Pro 128GB, it says 'not enough storage' on the new phone. It puzzles me. I even tried to delete a lot of stuff from the old iPhone 11 and bought down the used storage to 110 GB from 121 GB, still same issue. Apple need to fix this issue. It is frustrating trying transfer everything to the new iPhone.

iPhone 13 pro not enough storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
  • A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Learn more.