Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Booting from old external clone running High Sierra

I'm looking at a new MacBook Pro (Intel). I assume it will ship with Big Sur installed. I have an old bootable external SSD running High Sierra. I would like to use that to run old 32-bit apps (Photoshop CS3). Is it possible to hold the option key down and select this external drive and boot from it? Has anyone done this successfully? Although I would love a new M1, I'm pretty sure you can't boot from older bootable drives. Also, Boot Camp won't work on the M1. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 10:19 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Sep 26, 2021 12:09 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

Alfredo Jahn wrote:
So using Parallels? I can install HS in a VM and it will work on a new Mac (2020)? I assume the new ones come with Catalena or Big Sur preinstalled?

When you consider the cost of purchasing Parallels, and the extra work of installing the older OS there plus the performance hit for running your normal MacOS plus the virtual machine MacOS (which will take considerable extra disk space and memory), you are probably better off replacing your Photoshop CS3. Adobe has ceased all support for Photoshop CS3:

"In July 2017, activation servers for CS3 applications were shut down. Registered users who wished to continue using Photoshop CS3 after that date could use their valid serial number to download a new installer from Adobe that could be activated without contacting a server. In December 2019, Adobe stopped providing CS3 downloads entirely." https://adobe.fandom.com/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_CS3

At some point you will find it impossible to install or continue to run Photoshop CS3. You will need to do a new install into that VM if you go that route. It might be time to consider switching to the annual fee version (Adobe CC) or some other alternative program, such as those mentioned by dialabrain earlier.

Sep 26, 2021 4:06 PM in response to steve626

Yeah, I already have all the Affinity applications. It's so easy to do stuff in PS, but I've been trying to ween myself off of it. Generally, I open Affinity Photo and google something like "how do you create a stroke around a selection?", or whatever Affinity does differently. Its always sort of painful, but worth it. I was asking this more for my kid who is upgrading from High Sierra on an old 2014 MacBook Air to a new 2020 MBP. I had to break it to him that 32 bit apps aren't supported anymore. He agreed to try Affinity. :-) Just trying to help him out. LOL

Booting from old external clone running High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.