Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple official procedure for creating a Big Sur external boot drive on an M1 running Monterey?

I have an M1 Mini, currently running Monterey, but I would like to be able to boot into Big Sur, the earliest OS I can use on it. In researching how to create an external boot drive for an M1 with an older OS on it, I have run into no information where I expected to find it, useless information, and outright wrong information, coming from formerly reliable sources: this forum, AppleCare, and The Genius Bar at the Apple Store. Is there any official description how to do that that someone can link me to? A choice of startup disks is still possible through System Preferences. Is it possible, or isn't it?

Mac mini, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 7:32 AM

I have not seen any "Apple" procedure for doing so. It appears that some external disks work and some do not with no pattern uncovered so far. I did it successfully a couple of days ago. That is documented in the following along with others users experiences.

on an M1, can a 2.5" SSD serve as an external boot drive?

1 reply

Apple official procedure for creating a Big Sur external boot drive on an M1 running Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.