Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“Why do i get this message and what do I do?”not enough space available to transfer: select fewer items to continue.”

Why do I get this message and what do I do? ( setting up initial migration/ transfer from old iMac to new iMac): “ not enough space available to transfer: select fewer items to continue”

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 1:12 PM

Sounds like you bough a new iMac that has a smaller Drive than your old iMac has.

Some options include,

1. Move something like your Music or Photos off of the old iMac to an external drive. Then Migrate to the new iMac and access those files from the external drive.
  2. Copy everything on the old iMac to an external drive. Connect the external drive to the new iMac. Then pick and choose what you want from the external drive.
  3. Return the new iMac and get one with a larger drive. Then Migrate everything from the old iMac.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2021 1:12 PM in response to N-m-n-

Sounds like you bough a new iMac that has a smaller Drive than your old iMac has.

Some options include,

1. Move something like your Music or Photos off of the old iMac to an external drive. Then Migrate to the new iMac and access those files from the external drive.
  2. Copy everything on the old iMac to an external drive. Connect the external drive to the new iMac. Then pick and choose what you want from the external drive.
  3. Return the new iMac and get one with a larger drive. Then Migrate everything from the old iMac.

“Why do i get this message and what do I do?”not enough space available to transfer: select fewer items to continue.”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.