Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not enough space for migration

I just bought a new iMac and am trying migration assistant. It says there is not enough space to complete the transfer. I did a check on disk utility and everything is fine. Also checked storage and there should be plenty of space. Help!

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 9:03 AM

It gets down to how much data you are going to transfer vs. the available space in the receiving hard drive. I would ask you what are these numbers?

2 replies

Oct 18, 2022 9:54 AM in response to jill jensen

My recommendation is when buying a new Mac to ALWAYS get one with the same or more storage as your previous Mac. Based on your description of the problem it seems that you did not do this. That means your ONLY option is to return the new Mac and buy one with the same or more storage as the old machine. Then your migration will go extremely smoothly. If you don't do this you will not be able to use Migration Assistant to migrate as it is an all or nothing process!!!

If you think your new machine has the same amount of storage (or more) as the old Mac, then please be specific and tell us how much storage the old and new machine actually have!!!

When you are ready to migrate again, please follow the steps in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant.

Not enough space for migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.