Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running Migration Assistant with insufficient space

I have a 27” iMac with 3TB’s of storage. I just bought a new MacBook Air with a 1TB drive. On my iMac because of ICloud Drive, I am using 1.5 TB of storage. I have Files and Docs turned on, which puts my data in iCloud Drive, but keeps a copy on my local machine.

As a result, Migration assistant consistently fails for insufficient space. On iCloud Drive, I have “Optimization” turned on, which will keep data only in the cloud if there is insufficient space. On my source machine, I have plenty of storage so the optimization is not relevant. On the target iMac ideally the optimization would solve the problem, but I have to get the migration done first. Any ideas?

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 9:44 AM

As you no doubt saw, there are options in Migration Assistant as to what to transfer: your personal preferences etc., your files and your user installed apps. Each group is all or none. Individual selections are not allowed. Try just transferring your files and preferences and not the apps. If that works you can then install the apps individually.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2022 9:44 AM in response to jayrancho

As you no doubt saw, there are options in Migration Assistant as to what to transfer: your personal preferences etc., your files and your user installed apps. Each group is all or none. Individual selections are not allowed. Try just transferring your files and preferences and not the apps. If that works you can then install the apps individually.

Running Migration Assistant with insufficient space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.