Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod not playing music after iOS 15 update

My HomePod can't connect to apple music if I have it set as default audio output for my apple tv 4k

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 6:50 AM

carey126 wrote:

It's the HomePod, when the AppleTV is turned off/sleeping

Hmm, I know I disabled the default speaker option when it was first available with my ATV 4 HD and OG HomePods because I didn't like the way that any use of the HomePods woke up the Apple TV. Use Feedback - HomePod - Apple to share your thoughts with Apple.

tt2

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2021 6:50 AM in response to carey126

carey126 wrote:

It's the HomePod, when the AppleTV is turned off/sleeping

Hmm, I know I disabled the default speaker option when it was first available with my ATV 4 HD and OG HomePods because I didn't like the way that any use of the HomePods woke up the Apple TV. Use Feedback - HomePod - Apple to share your thoughts with Apple.

tt2

Oct 11, 2021 3:34 AM in response to HRK_SAMANY

I also have the same problem, since I updated my new Apple TV 4K, both Homepods and my iPhone X to 15.0.

I tried everything (resetting both HomePods, rebuilding my home network, restarting everything etc.), but nothing helps for long.

If I disconnect my HomePod stereo pair from the new Apple TV 4K, I can connect to AppleMusic again via "Hey Siri, play...".

However, when I then reconnect my new Apple TV 4K, it works for a few hours before the HomePods can no longer connect to AppleMusic.

Maybe helpful: If I turn my AppleTV on and open AppleMusic on my AppleTV the AppleMusic App needs around 5 sec to load. When I then turn my AppleTV off and call my HomePods with "Hey Siri, play... ", they can again connect to AppleMusic for a few hours.

Oct 12, 2021 4:34 PM in response to carey126

I’ve been fighting this since 15 dropped. Was driving me crazy!

just turned off “advanced security” on my Xfinity cable modem / Wi-Fi, then turned off the power strip for the ATV and HomePod, then back on.

it started working immediately!

if you have Xfinity, test by disabling advanced security. You can do this in the Xfinity app under overview->account->privacy center.

Nov 10, 2021 9:50 AM in response to tperry0

I spoke to Apple about this a few months ago, and at the time the response was basically you can choose one or the other: using the HomePod as default speakers OR using it to play Apple Music with the TV off. I have the same issue, but Apple Music works for me if the Apple TV 4K is on (which means the TV is on). Obviously I don't want to turn on the TV just to listen to music, so I've disabled the HomePod as default speakers and just use the crappy TV speakers most of the time. When I'm watching something that demands good sound, I switch to the HomePods (stereo pair) manually. It's not a great situation obviously. I hope this IS something that Apple intends to fix...

HomePod not playing music after iOS 15 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.