Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move photo to a new Mac: better TM or iCloud?

Hi, just a quick one.

A I have all my photos on iCloud. I also keep them in their original size on my old macBookPro, in order to be able to backup them locally through Time Machine.

If I buy a new Mac, is it considered safer to move my local photoLibrary from the old Mac to the new one through Migration Assistant, or downloading them from iCloud on the new Mac?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 9:09 AM

If you want to use iCloud Photos on your new mac as well, I would create a new, empty Photos Library on the new Mac and download the library from iCloud. It will be faster than copying the library to the new Mac. The problem is, that the copy will first be merged into your existing iCloud Photos library, which may take several days to upload to iCloud. By simply downloading from iCloud you will avoid the lengthy new upload and merging. I wi7ld only copy the library to the new mac, if you have projects to save. The projects are not syncing with iCloud Photos. All other items can be downloaded from iCloud.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2021 9:09 AM in response to Jet787

If you want to use iCloud Photos on your new mac as well, I would create a new, empty Photos Library on the new Mac and download the library from iCloud. It will be faster than copying the library to the new Mac. The problem is, that the copy will first be merged into your existing iCloud Photos library, which may take several days to upload to iCloud. By simply downloading from iCloud you will avoid the lengthy new upload and merging. I wi7ld only copy the library to the new mac, if you have projects to save. The projects are not syncing with iCloud Photos. All other items can be downloaded from iCloud.

Move photo to a new Mac: better TM or iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.