Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-downloading iCloud photos on Mac

I am setting up a new computer with Migration assistant. Rather than transferring my photos I would prefer to download them from iCloud on the new computer. How do I do that?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 7:03 PM

See the article Transfer your information to Mac from another computer or device - Apple Support

You can uncheck the box of photos in Mac system preferences , syncing go photos with iCloud will stop .

4 replies

Jan 14, 2022 9:02 AM in response to ahostmadsen2

Using migration assistant can take hours to transfer the data Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Rather set up new Mac Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

You have to sign in with same Apple ID and password with account credentials , set up iCloud Set up iCloud on your Mac - Apple Support

And turn on iCloud features in Mac system preferences Set up iCloud features on Mac - Apple Support

And then follow the articles Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Change preferences in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

System Photo Library overview for Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Jan 14, 2022 10:30 AM in response to tygb

Thanks, but it doesn't really answer my question. I will be using Migration assistant, that is already decided. So, the question is how I can move everything except my photos.

If you wonder, why not photos? The issue is that from previous experience, if I transfer the photos, iCloud will then try to reconcile the online library and the "new" library, i.e., check for duplicates. That takes about a week (!!) if constantly blowing fans. Then it's faster just to download photos again.

Re-downloading iCloud photos on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.