Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apparent bug in Numbers Highlighting rules

I want to highlight the largest number in a column of numbers. First, I select a result cell to find what the largest number is, then use the formula MAX and the range of the cells in the column. The largest number is now displayed in the result cell. Then I select the cells in the column again, click cell, click show Highlighting Rules, select equal to, and select there result cell with the Max number and a green fill if satisfied, then select Done.

The column highlights a number of cells in green, none of which satisfy the criteria, and the max number is not even selected. Is this indeed a bug?

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 9:08 AM

nemosdogs wrote:

How'd you find this?

By a little quick experimenting. Note that if you take advantage of built-in Numbers features such Header and Footer Rows, then generally you can just refer to the whole column rather than a range within the column. For example, the formula in A10 in my example is simply =MAX(A). I can do that because row 10 is defined as a Footer Row. A bonus is that Numbers will automatically insert the $ when I click A10 as I'm constructing the Conditional Highlighting rule.

SG

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2021 9:08 AM in response to nemosdogs

nemosdogs wrote:

How'd you find this?

By a little quick experimenting. Note that if you take advantage of built-in Numbers features such Header and Footer Rows, then generally you can just refer to the whole column rather than a range within the column. For example, the formula in A10 in my example is simply =MAX(A). I can do that because row 10 is defined as a Footer Row. A bonus is that Numbers will automatically insert the $ when I click A10 as I'm constructing the Conditional Highlighting rule.

SG

Apparent bug in Numbers Highlighting rules

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.