Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging via usb-lightning connection overseas

Is it safe to plug in my iPhone or iPad directly in to a USB outlet in a hotel overseas that uses 220v? By "plug in", I'm referring to NOT using the small white "brick charger" that one plugs in to the electrical outlet, and then plugs the USB cord in to.

I do realize that with an adapter, one can directly plug the brick in to the socket and the brick will convert to the correct voltage. However, I'm asking about removing the brick when a USB outlet exists overseas.

I can't risk frying my devices.

Thanks very much!

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 6:16 AM

If you are in any doubt at all about the suitability of a USB outlet for charging your iPad or other Apple devices, you would be best advised to use the Power Adapter that was supplied with your device.

If necessary, a simple mains-pin adapter may be required if the AC connection of your Power Adapter does not match the AC Mains outlet in the country that you are visiting.

All Apple Power Adapters are universal voltage, designed to operate on 110-250VAC 50/60Hz.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2021 6:16 AM in response to LQGuy

If you are in any doubt at all about the suitability of a USB outlet for charging your iPad or other Apple devices, you would be best advised to use the Power Adapter that was supplied with your device.

If necessary, a simple mains-pin adapter may be required if the AC connection of your Power Adapter does not match the AC Mains outlet in the country that you are visiting.

All Apple Power Adapters are universal voltage, designed to operate on 110-250VAC 50/60Hz.

Sep 26, 2021 12:50 PM in response to Doctor9fan

Thanks for replying.

I should clarify…

I would be plugging a converter equipped with USB outlets, directly in to the outlet. This is only an adapter…NOT a voltage converter.

would you still think it to be safe?

im thinking it may be best to travel with a few bricks just to be on the safe side. But if it is guaranteed to be safe, then I’d rather not.

Thank you!

Charging via usb-lightning connection overseas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.