Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 13" MacBook Pro Seems to have slight Backlight Bleed | What Should I Do?

So my 2012 13 Inch MacBook Pro seems to have some slight backlight bleed on both sides of the screen, (especially on the left side off the screen) and I have not noticed it till today, and I have had this computer for a couple of months now. I take this computer to college, and I move it around the house. I have never dropped it hard, but it had 2 tumbles on to the carpet, but not on the sides were the bleed is. Is this a serious problem that needs to be fixed ASAP? Will the bleed worsen over time? And if it is serious, should I replace the display or get a new Mac?

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 5:44 PM

Actually, whoops there is something I just realized. the pervious owner did drop this mac on a hard surface as one of the corners is bent, and the bleed is on the side were the dent, so actually it could be damage from a that drop that occurred. I think it's been there since I first bought it but I have not noticed it till now. I was just worried it came out of no where while I have had it and that it was going to splinter off. Thats what happens when you but used Macs. I actually would like to replace the display, as it does have a dent, but i'm worried ill end up replacing it with a fake, so i'm probably just going to keep the display for now, unless things do get bad.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2021 5:44 PM in response to leroydouglas

Actually, whoops there is something I just realized. the pervious owner did drop this mac on a hard surface as one of the corners is bent, and the bleed is on the side were the dent, so actually it could be damage from a that drop that occurred. I think it's been there since I first bought it but I have not noticed it till now. I was just worried it came out of no where while I have had it and that it was going to splinter off. Thats what happens when you but used Macs. I actually would like to replace the display, as it does have a dent, but i'm worried ill end up replacing it with a fake, so i'm probably just going to keep the display for now, unless things do get bad.

Sep 26, 2021 5:14 PM in response to Snappycat8000

Snappycat8000 wrote:

So my 2012 13 Inch MacBook Pro seems to have some slight backlight bleed on both sides of the screen, (especially on the left side off the screen) and I have not noticed it till today, and I have had this computer for a couple of months now. I take this computer to college, and I move it around the house. I have never dropped it hard, but it had 2 tumbles on to the carpet, but not on the sides were the bleed is. Is this a serious problem that needs to be fixed ASAP? Will the bleed worsen over time? And if it is serious, should I replace the display or get a new Mac?

If it is an issue— you can take your 9 yr old MBP to any computer repair shop for an estimate for repair.

I have no idea if it will get worse however, I can say it will not get better.

Only you know what is best after you have an estimate.. You can expect ~$50.00 check in-fee to get it diagnosed, and ~10 days to bench at most repair shops. Maybe over the counter they can say what a "new/used" display would cost...

Sep 26, 2021 5:37 PM in response to leroydouglas

Well it does not bug me at the moment so i'm going to let it slide for now. All I care is that it does not get worse, otherwise then i'm gonna have a problem. Im only planning to keep this unit for another year or two, and then i'm going to get a newer mac, so hopefully it doesn't worsen over those periods of time if it does get worse. Thank you for the help.

2012 13" MacBook Pro Seems to have slight Backlight Bleed | What Should I Do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.