Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Magic keyboard buggy after iOS 15 upgrade?

After the upgrade to IOS 15 on my iPad 4 air, my Apple Magic Keyboard started acting buggy. The touch pad, space bar, and what I call the macro keys (control, option, and cmd keys) no longer work.

Based on what I read online, I have done the following:

1. removed the keyboard and cleaned the connectors with a dry lint cloth and re-attached the keyboard - it did not fix the issue
  2. i rebooted my iPad and then connected the keyboard - it didn’t fix the issue

I have a Logitech folio touch keyboard is displaying the same issues.

is there anything else I can do? These devices worked until I upgraded to iOS 15.

any help is welcome

Thanks in Advance

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 6:51 PM

I just want to clarify something - I read through your instructions to re-pair the keyboard to realize that isn't the keyboard I have. I am using the Magic Keyboard for the iPad 4 air - Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation) and iPad Air (4th generation) - US English - Black - Apple not the individual magic keyboard you reference in your answer.

Second after some testing after multiple reboots of my iPad tonight I narrowed it down to this, my tab key and spacebar isn't working.

I did a Google search to find this article - iPad Pro Magic Keyboard “space bar” Not R… - Apple Community

For some reason the iOS 15 upgrade enabled the accessibility mode of the keyboard. I just turned it off and everything is working.

not sure why this happened but it affected my Magic Keyboard for iPad 4 air and my logitech folio touch case keyboard as well.

It would be nice to know why that setting was turned on but for now I'm happy.

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2021 6:51 PM in response to SleepWalkingFalcon92

I just want to clarify something - I read through your instructions to re-pair the keyboard to realize that isn't the keyboard I have. I am using the Magic Keyboard for the iPad 4 air - Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation) and iPad Air (4th generation) - US English - Black - Apple not the individual magic keyboard you reference in your answer.

Second after some testing after multiple reboots of my iPad tonight I narrowed it down to this, my tab key and spacebar isn't working.

I did a Google search to find this article - iPad Pro Magic Keyboard “space bar” Not R… - Apple Community

For some reason the iOS 15 upgrade enabled the accessibility mode of the keyboard. I just turned it off and everything is working.

not sure why this happened but it affected my Magic Keyboard for iPad 4 air and my logitech folio touch case keyboard as well.

It would be nice to know why that setting was turned on but for now I'm happy.

Sep 27, 2021 2:33 PM in response to SleepWalkingFalcon92

Hello SleepWalkingFalcon92,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We see that you are having issues with you Magic Keyboard and Logitech keyboard and your iPad after updating to iOS 15.

We’d be happy to help you!

We recommend unpairing and re-pairing through the steps in Pair Magic Keyboard with iPad next.

Let us know if the issue persists.

Take care.

Nov 12, 2021 5:45 AM in response to SleepWalkingFalcon92

This fixed the space bar issue on the keyboard but created another issue in Facebook. By turning off Accessibility Mode on the keyboard, now Facebook crashes/unresponsive when I click on comments in a post. If I turn Accessibility Mode back on for the external Logitech keyboard, then Facebook works but my space bar no longer works correctly in the universal search address bar in Safari. (iOS 15 iPad Pro 2021)

Nov 12, 2021 7:01 AM in response to BillKellum

BillKellum wrote:

If I turn Accessibility Mode back on for the external Logitech keyboard, then Facebook works but my space bar no longer works correctly in the universal search address bar in Safari. (iOS 15 iPad Pro 2021)

Go deeper in your Accessibility settings and you will find a place where you can turn off the special function for Space bar.

Nov 19, 2021 6:48 AM in response to BillKellum

I removed the space bar from “Activate” in the Keyboard Commands and this fixed the space bar issue. However, my Tab and Arrow keys are not working correctly especially in Pages and Numbers. If I turn off Full Keyboard access then the Tab and Arrow keys work correctly, but FaceBook freezes. When I look at where the Tab and Arrow Keys are used in the Commands they are everywhere and seem to make sense. So right now it looks like I have to turn off or turn on Full Keyboard access depending on what I am doing. This is not a productive solution. I have not done a Factory reset yet since I don’t see a post where this has solved the issue …Any other suggestions?

Dec 7, 2021 4:07 PM in response to Manhandz

I'm nowhere as savvy as the other writers since Sept intro of ios15. I updated and immediately my folio keyboard for 1st gen iPad stopped functioning - space, tab, certain letters, etc. Created haiku, essentially!

I bought a new one - did same thing - returned it

With all sorts of accessibility features turned off, the fancier $200 case works, but it's far less comfortable for chair vs desk use.

I want the lower end folio keyboard to work! and even modifying accessibility settings does not restore it to function.

This is exasperating. Maybe it all is coincidence and the old keyboard died at same time I upgraded, and not yet knowing to turn off all those accessibility features, it seemed not to work. Should not have sent it back so soon!!

Why is my Magic keyboard buggy after iOS 15 upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.