Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock with Apple Watch isn't working on your iPhone 13

Unlock with Apple Watch isn't working on your iPhone 13. I have been facing this issue since the day I purchased the new iPhone 13. I am getting the error that "Unable to Communicate with Apple Watch".

Is anyone else facing this issue on their new iPhone 13?

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 11:33 PM

9 replies

Sep 26, 2021 11:34 PM in response to pranavnlu

What you need

Unlocking your iPhone with your Apple Watch requires these devices:

• An iPhone that uses Face ID (iPhone X or later) and has iOS 14.5 or later
  • An Apple Watch Series 3 or later with watchOS 7.4 or later

The feature also has these requirements:

• Your Apple Watch needs to be paired with your iPhone.
  • Your iPhone and Apple Watch need to have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. (You don't need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network.)
  • Your Apple Watch needs to have a passcode, and wrist detection must be turned on.
  • Your Apple Watch needs to be on your wrist and unlocked.
  • You need to be wearing a mask that covers your mouth and nose, or sunglasses or ski goggles that cover your eyes. 

Unlock your iPhone with Apple Watch when you're wearing a ...

Sep 29, 2021 7:52 PM in response to Stuart S

Thanks for this. I tried and indeed it worked. I can now unlock my iphone 13 after following the above steps.

Just to put some context, when i received my iphone 13 i transferred using iphone to iphone method https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT210216. This time I followed the above steps, restored from iCloud backup and there's no issue unlocking the phone with facemask on using apple watch.

Sep 28, 2021 10:25 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks to posts elsewhere I was able to fix this on my iPhone 13 Pro by doing the following:

1) Backup (to iCloud)

2) Settings/General/Transfer or Reset Iphone/Erase All Content and Settings (i.e. factory reset)

3) Set up phone using restore from backup

4) During restore, I received a message that I would be able to unlock my iPhone with my

Apple Watch

5) Once restore completed, I went to Settings/Face ID & Passcode, turned on the option to unlock with my Apple Watch

6) Waited for sync on Apple Watch to complete.

After that, unlock with watch worked.

Sep 29, 2021 8:36 PM in response to mizusPiggy

Glad I was able to help someone else. I don't think the issue is specific to the iPhone to iPhone quick start method you referenced as my initial setup used an iCloud backup to set up my new phone. My best guess as to what is going on is that the handshake process to establish the Apple Watch unlock depends on a key that is specific to the pairing between the watch and the new phone that didn't get updated when I restored from an old phone backup. In the process above I used a backup from the new phone and that process included resyncing the phone to the watch. I presume the key got updated at some point in that process and allowed the watch unlock to work.

Unlock with Apple Watch isn't working on your iPhone 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.