Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not enough space to do a software update on my MacBook

how can I update my MacBook software when it says my Macintosh disk does not have enough space?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 2:52 AM

4 replies

Sep 27, 2021 7:25 AM in response to Beth1810

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

See used and available storage space on your Mac

From above link

• Apple States Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size dep

Oct 8, 2021 2:14 PM in response to Lislay

The files that you have control over are located in the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Movies folders.  You can use either of these two free apps, GrandPerspective  or OmniDiscSweeper, to find the largest files on your drive so you can determine if they can be deleted or moved to an external HD for storage.  

Note: you can empty the Downloads folder after the apps and/or updates that were downloaded have been installed or applied.  Many users have found a couple of Gigabytes of files in their Downloads folder which are no longer needed. 

You'll need a minimum of 50 GB free space for the installation. Also to facilitate optimal system and application one should strive to maintain about a minimum of 50 GB free space at all times.

Oct 8, 2021 2:04 PM in response to jonathonking

theres no "manage" button when I open "about this mac" and click on storage...

I had 5gb storage free (My macbook is old and only has 251gb storage) then downloaded the update for my ipad, now I have 900mb free and it won't update my ipad, because of storage,,, that has been taken up by the update I assume?

most of my storage is being used by "other" whatever and wherever that lives?!

help? lol

not enough space to do a software update on my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.