Can't update mac despite having more than enough space

I have 170 GB of free space on my mac, however when I try to update the software it tells me that I don't have enough space and that I need 13,33 GB of space.

Can someone please help me???

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 3:52 AM

If your Mac is indicating that you don't have enough space to update the software, despite having 170 GB of free space, there could be a couple of reasons for this discrepancy. Here are a few suggestions to help you troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check the system requirements: Ensure that your Mac meets the minimum system requirements for the software update. Sometimes, certain updates require more space or specific hardware configurations.

2. Temporary files and caches: Your Mac may have accumulated temporary files and caches that are taking up additional space. You can use built-in tools like "Disk Utility" to clean up these files.

3. Time Machine backups: If you use Time Machine to back up your Mac, it could be reserving some of your free space for backups. Check your Time Machine settings to ensure that it's not using an excessive amount of space.

4. Hidden files and folders: Some large files or folders may be hidden or located in non-obvious locations. Use a specialized tool like DaisyDisk to scan your Mac's storage and identify any large files or folders that you might have missed.

5. Restart your Mac: Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve temporary issues that may be affecting the available space calculations.

6. Contact Apple Support: If none of the above solutions work, it's recommended to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting steps tailored to your situation.

By following these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve any space-related issues preventing you from updating your software.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 3:52 AM in response to hinrik256

If your Mac is indicating that you don't have enough space to update the software, despite having 170 GB of free space, there could be a couple of reasons for this discrepancy. Here are a few suggestions to help you troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check the system requirements: Ensure that your Mac meets the minimum system requirements for the software update. Sometimes, certain updates require more space or specific hardware configurations.

2. Temporary files and caches: Your Mac may have accumulated temporary files and caches that are taking up additional space. You can use built-in tools like "Disk Utility" to clean up these files.

3. Time Machine backups: If you use Time Machine to back up your Mac, it could be reserving some of your free space for backups. Check your Time Machine settings to ensure that it's not using an excessive amount of space.

4. Hidden files and folders: Some large files or folders may be hidden or located in non-obvious locations. Use a specialized tool like DaisyDisk to scan your Mac's storage and identify any large files or folders that you might have missed.

5. Restart your Mac: Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve temporary issues that may be affecting the available space calculations.

6. Contact Apple Support: If none of the above solutions work, it's recommended to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting steps tailored to your situation.

By following these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve any space-related issues preventing you from updating your software.

Jun 5, 2023 2:01 PM in response to hinrik256

Try and boot your Mac in the safe mode and try to update when booted in the safe mode

Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
  2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
  3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
  4. Select a volume.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Start up your Intel-based Mac in safe mode

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.
  4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Jun 6, 2023 10:51 AM in response to hinrik256

hinrik256 wrote:

I have 170 GB of free space on my mac,

Does it explicitly say "Free" or does it say "Available"? With macOS the terminology is very significant since "Free" is free space that can be used immediately whereas "Available" (used to be referred to as "Purgeable") means at some point macOS will be able to release some files to allow to convert it to actual "Free" space, but no one knows when this will happen.

Can't update mac despite having more than enough space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.