Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase Process has failed - Couldn’t open disk (internal disk)

I erased the internal drive and reinstalled Mac OS so the computer could go to a new owner.

Once installation was complete I “walked away” from the machine. I did not set it up.

the new owner complained of a problem signing in or setting up.

I'm in disk utility trying to erase the HD and start over.

When erasing internal HD I received the following message:

i can’t add or remove volumes. I can’t erase. I can’t partition.

Thanks in advance for any input.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 9:41 AM

Hi rchaser4,

Thanks for posting the screenshots. It looks like you have an M1 Mac.

Unlike previous Intel-based Macs, you cannot erase the top level of the internal drive on Apple silicon Macs. They require the following two partitions to always exist. If they don't, your Mac will fail to start up, and the firmware will need to be restored.

• Apple_APFS_iSC: This is the first 524 MB partition (disk0s1) on the internal drive. It's a special APFS container that contains your Mac's firmware and other boot materials.

• Apple_APFS_Recovery: This is the last 5.37 GB partition (disk0s3) on the internal drive. It's a special APFS container that contains a copy of macOS Recovery, which is what you're currently running from.

To safely erase the Mac, erase the APFS Container entry (disk0s2, represented as disk3) directly below the internal drive. Format it as APFS and name it "Macintosh HD". Then, reinstall macOS.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2021 9:41 AM in response to rchaserfour

Hi rchaser4,

Thanks for posting the screenshots. It looks like you have an M1 Mac.

Unlike previous Intel-based Macs, you cannot erase the top level of the internal drive on Apple silicon Macs. They require the following two partitions to always exist. If they don't, your Mac will fail to start up, and the firmware will need to be restored.

• Apple_APFS_iSC: This is the first 524 MB partition (disk0s1) on the internal drive. It's a special APFS container that contains your Mac's firmware and other boot materials.

• Apple_APFS_Recovery: This is the last 5.37 GB partition (disk0s3) on the internal drive. It's a special APFS container that contains a copy of macOS Recovery, which is what you're currently running from.

To safely erase the Mac, erase the APFS Container entry (disk0s2, represented as disk3) directly below the internal drive. Format it as APFS and name it "Macintosh HD". Then, reinstall macOS.

Sep 27, 2021 10:39 AM in response to Encryptor5000

I’m sorry. I’m not getting it. I’m not a novice but I’m not at the level needed to just figure this out.

I don’t see diskOs2 represented as disk3.

I erased the container (located immediately below Apple SSD - Internal). You’ll see what resulted.

I then tried to reinstall and it went for 20 mins and then gave me an error.

I’ll bring it with me back to work so I can respond quickly *if* you respond.

thank you for your patience. Sorry I’m not that smart. 😞

what should I do now?

Sep 27, 2021 11:31 AM in response to rchaserfour

That size sounds about right. Keep in mind that 245 GB isn’t necessarily the amount of user-available space, it’s the total amount of space available. macOS will probably take up around 20 GB, and then the new user will likely install more apps on top of that.

Also, your disk partitions looked fine earlier, so I wouldn’t worry about it :)

Erase Process has failed - Couldn’t open disk (internal disk)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.