Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos library file size not reducing after photo deletes

Currently using Photos on Catalina OS. PhotosLibrary was ~12Gb. Came back from a trip and imported ~500 TIFF photos for review and editing (total ~50Gb). File grew to ~62Gb. After sorting & editing and exporting the photos, I deleted ALL TIFF photos. I also emptied the "Recently Deleted" folder in Photos. This was about 2 weeks ago. Photos Library file is still ~62gb taking up valuable disk space.

BTW. I use both iCloud or TimeMachine if they have any impact on this issue.

What can I do to shrink this file back to what it should be and regain 50gb of disk space?

Thank You in advance for ANY suggestions or solutions

Lucio

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 3:20 PM

I had done a disk utility "First Aid" scan. I would have thought that would have caught the size issue.

I copied the "62gb ?" Photos Library file to an external drive where it registered as 6.8gb only. I deleted the file on the MacBook and restored the file from the external drive and all is now good.

Now I question how many other files have this issue. Unfortunately Catalina is as far as I can go on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina.

Thank You Tony for pointing me in to the "unsettling" solution.

Cheers

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2021 3:20 PM in response to TonyCollinet

I had done a disk utility "First Aid" scan. I would have thought that would have caught the size issue.

I copied the "62gb ?" Photos Library file to an external drive where it registered as 6.8gb only. I deleted the file on the MacBook and restored the file from the external drive and all is now good.

Now I question how many other files have this issue. Unfortunately Catalina is as far as I can go on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina.

Thank You Tony for pointing me in to the "unsettling" solution.

Cheers

photos library file size not reducing after photo deletes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.