Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS: Black screen, with apple logo and stuck progress bar right after logging in.

I tried to update my M1 MacBook Air from 11.0 to 11.6 but the update was stuck for hours (4-5) so I rebooted. Laptop started up as normal and took me to the login screen. After I entered my password, it went to the black screen with apple logo and progress bar (which is stuck in same place for hours).

I rebooted into into startup options ran first aid on all disks which were fine and reinstalled the OS. But it does the same thing… login screen then to apple logo and progress bar that never moves.

any help appreciated :) thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 7:02 PM

Do you have Time Machine backups from before the upgrade? If so, I would do a full erase & reinstall, then restore from a backup:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/erase-and-reinstall-macos-mh27903/mac

Similar questions

8 replies

Sep 29, 2021 7:39 AM in response to Kastronaut

Guessing and maybe some Senior Contributor will pickup you question and have more insights.

Thinking >>

1 - Internal Drive has run out of Available Disk Space to continue to boot and perform normally

2- Were there any Third Party Software installed before the update. Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Sep 29, 2021 4:34 AM in response to Kastronaut

User wrote " my M1 MacBook Air from 11.0 to 11.6 " and how exactly was this attempted.

Notation - Big Sur 11.0, as per quotation from posting, was Released sometime in November 2020 and was very quick updated to 11.1

So, attempting to move from the Original Release of 11.0 to the latest will required steps between 11.0 to reach 11.6.

In fact, the Apple Store , asI am writing this reply, is Only Offering the 11.5.2 at the last available Full Installer

From what has been seen on these Forums - the Big Sur 11.5.2 is a requirements to be installed before the 11.6 will be permitted to be installed via Software Update Application in System Preferences.

MacOS: Black screen, with apple logo and stuck progress bar right after logging in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.