Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari crashes immediately on mac

How do I fix safari from crashing immediately on my Mac

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 7:27 AM

imagoodshot wrote:

Safari 15 crashes in Big Sur— a known issue

Quit Safari.app Command Q

From the Finder>Go?Go to Folder, copy and paste:

~/Library/Containers/Safari/Data/Library/Safari/

delete the following or move to the desktop to delete later

safaritabs.db

safaritabs.db-shm

safaritabs.db-wal

Re-launch Safari and test.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2021 7:27 AM in response to imagoodshot

imagoodshot wrote:

Safari 15 crashes in Big Sur— a known issue

Quit Safari.app Command Q

From the Finder>Go?Go to Folder, copy and paste:

~/Library/Containers/Safari/Data/Library/Safari/

delete the following or move to the desktop to delete later

safaritabs.db

safaritabs.db-shm

safaritabs.db-wal

Re-launch Safari and test.

Nov 22, 2021 6:47 PM in response to leroydouglas

OK, I applied the Solution, and when I reopened Safari, I saw a couple dozen empty windows!

So I then shut it down, and reloaded the safaritabs.db file, since it had about 240 mbs, which I figured were all the pages/tabs I had previously open. and of the other two files, one was empty, and the other only had 33kbs, which is what the new one also has, so I assumed it contained nothing relevant.

Well, when I reopened Safari, I now had two dozen, empty "Start pages", and when I looked in the folder I had put back in the large file, it was now EMPTY!

The very first time I opened Safari, when updating to Big Sur, I also lost about 40 or 50 previously opened tabs and windows, which was a royal pain, that I was never able to reconfigure, and now, I've just lost about the same number of ones I had open before applying this "fix". Any ideas?

Plus, Safari is still slowing, getting spinning balls, typing slow, dock is jittery when I put my mouse over it, and Windowserver is up to nearly 5 GBs of RAM & 85% of CPU, and that's with only three open windows, aside from the 20 blank ones! Just now I've lost all my previously opened ones, in other words it's now acting worse than before I used the "solution"....

Dec 26, 2021 10:07 AM in response to leroydouglas

After following your instructions, Safari opened, for maybe one minute, then immediately crashed, yet again:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4

Terminating Process: exc handler [95772]

Crashing on exception: The window has been marked as needing another Update Constraints in Window pass, but it has already had more Update Constraints in Window passes than there are views in the window.

<NSWindow: 0x7ff77ce437c0> 0x129d (4765) {{100, 100}, {100, 128}} en

Safari crashes immediately on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.